Motorsport Telephoto Options

Hello.  I am an avid motorsport fan.  Each year, I attend the Indy 500 and a couple other motorsport races.    Long story short, I need a lens capable of capturing fast moving objects at a distance.  I am an amateur with a limited knowledge base.  My camera is an A6000.  For telephoto stuff, I am currently using the Sony 4.5-6.3/55-210.  But, I am curious what my options are for reaching out farther, even to 300mm or beyond.  

As I will only likely use a new telephoto a few times a year, I am fairly budget conscious and would ideally like to keep the lens below $600 to $700.

Does anyone out there have experience with motorsport photography that could given me a few pointers as to what budget-minded lenses I should consider...if any at all?  

Perhaps I am asking too much of lens at this price range, but I would sure love something that got a little closer to the action on race-day.  

Budget minded telephoto longer than the cheapo 55-210?  Haha, you bought the wrong system.  If you would have gone Canon you could have gotten the EF USM 70-300 IS for approx. just a wee bit more than what that 55-210 sells for and that would give you 50% more reach.  Or if your budget is a bit more liberal you can get the Sigma 150-600 for about a grand give or take depending on your area and currency (don't believe the adapter hype - fast action and adapters are not your friend).

First off, I didn’t buy the camera. It was a gift from my folks. Second, I clarified that I am *barely* an amateur photographer, hence the cheap budget. Third, can-you came off as a real jerk above.

Anyone with useful advice? It’s people like this that have turned me off fo the photo community. “Not going to spend $3k? Go f yourself” advice isn’t helpful.

I would look out for used FullFrame lenses, the focal length will be 1.5x bigger on the APS-C sensor,

FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS SEL70300G might be worth a look if you can find a good used one. On your α6000 this would have an equivalent focal length of 105-450 mm though you will need a bright sunny day due to the small aperture.

I got my Sony 70-200 f4 for $700 used on Craiglist.  It is a fabulous lens, better than my Canon equivalent which I sold.  Razor sharp, stabilized, and relatively lightweight.  It worked perfectly on my A6000.  I would give it serious consideration.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!