A7II Wireless Strobe Triggers

Linde

Hello my fellow Alpha users,

I am looking into a set of strobe lights for my basement studio but wanted to make sure I had a choice of wireless triggers before I made the investment.  I don't hear this topic discussed often so I though I would throw it out there.  Can anyone provide some brand and model options for my A7II?  Does the brand of strobe light matter with regard to the wireless trigger (are they all compatible with one another?), i'm sure some are better than others but I need to keep this within budget.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Mike

I use the same pocket wizard setup that I used with my Canon, off the top of my head I think its called the MultiMax Transceiver? I do not get ETTL which is a feature I never used once when I shot with my Canons. I'm not sure if this helps you or not... I believe most hotshoe mounted triggers should work with your camera, however they may be lacking some of the automated features like ETTL

If you are not using a Sony multi interface shoe trigger, you will need an adapter from MIS to standard shoe, or to adapt (butcher) the trigger so that it fits in the mis shoe. 

For manual flash, any "dumb" triggers should then work.

For off-camera flash use with full TTL capability, the Nissin Di700 Air works well (can be used with either flash mounted on camera hot shoe, or trigger on camera and flash separate), as does the Phottix Mitros+ (the + version has a built-in receiver) with the Phottix Odin transmitter.

You mention A7II but not the lenses you intend to use with it

You don't menton which type of flash you want (intend to get ?) to use either

Cheap WL triggers in Manual mode should work fine as long as the shoe on the trigger is not too deep to fit properly in the MIS shoe of the camera.

I use iShoot PT-04 system with older flash units and it works well but max synch speed may be a little lower than what your camera is capable of.

As a bigger studio kit, Elinchrom D-Lite's with the supplied Skyport also works well but don't think of mixing this with other types of flash due to the price of the Skyport separate remote.

For more advanced WL ( TTL and HSS), this is another story. Your options:

- Sony /Minolta WL system which requires a flash on camera to control other compatible WL flash units. This system is optical and works pretty well up to about 20 ft from camera to WL flash.

The control flash can be any Sony flash listed here:

-HVL-F20M (or AM with an adapter) but limited to 1 channel and can not be used as a remote

-HVL-F32M but limited to 1 channel

-HVL-F43M  (or AM with an adapter) has 4 channels and can control groups of flash units and control ratio between these groups

-HVL-F60M also has 4 channels and can control groups of flash units and control ratio between these groups

-HVL-F58AM (with an adapter) has 4 channels and can control groups of flash units and control ratio between these groups

Remote flash units can be any digital capable Sony/Minolta units which are

-Minolta 3600HS(D) or Sony HVL-F36AM which are the same units but can be limited in the group control feature mentioned above for ratio lighting

-Minolta 5600HS(D) or Sony HVL-F56AM which are the same units but can be limited in the group control feature mentioned above for ratio lighting

-Sony HVL-F32M

-Sony HVL-F42AM

-Sony HVL-F43M

-Sony HVL-F43AM

-Sony HVL-F58AM

-Sony HVL-F60M

For radio control there is:

The Nissin Air system but it requires to buy only the single Nissan flash model units available at this time and can not be mixed with others until they bring out a remote unit that allows other flash units to be used (and who knows what this will be compatible with )

The Phottix Odin/Mitros/Mitros+ system is also available but requires to be used with chipped lenses only. Lenses communicate to camera bodies nowadays and this system does not work even in Manual if you use adapted lenses that have no communication with the body. The remotes and Mitros+ as a controller or as a remote are compatible with most of the Sony/Minolta flash units mentioned above in either (but not both at the same time) the radio control manner or the Sony/Minolta optical WL protocol.

Thank you all for the quick response.  I will be using the sony 28-135mm G OSS lens or the Sony Zeiss 55mm prime to start with.  I didn't mention the type of flash I want because I currently have no idea, I am in the research phase of my intended purchase.  I have to admit, in the past, if I could light the subject with soft boxes or rim lighting, I did just that.  I realize I could achieve some different results if I used some sort of flash set up.  I have very little knowledge with regard to flash/strobe kits so all this is new to me.

I have the A7RII and am looking for a off camera flash set up.  I have a Youngnuo 600 ex rt and the YN E3 RT that i used with my Canon.  I am thoroughly confused--going to trying to find out whether this set up can also be used with the Sony a7rII---if it can--how do I get it to work??  I have set it up for the Sony but the transmitter won't fire the flash.

Is there another inexpensive set up out there that will work?  I am just looking to use one flash off camera.

Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

So my friends I finally took a leap of faith and purchased Godox 300SDI three strobe set.  It came with a Godox trigger and transmitter.  It was rather easy to figure out and when I synced my light meter with the strobe I was able to make near perfect settings on the camera before pulling trigger.  

I am however, having one issue.  I also purchased a newer strobe moonlight and the Godox trigger does not seem to set off the Neewer strobe.  I'm not sure why the two are unable to talk with one another.  

On a high note - the combination of the Godox strobe kit combined with the Sony 55mm Prime lens is my new favorite combination in my studio.  Amazing, fastened crisp focusing lens!  

I have the A7RII and am looking for a off camera flash set up.  I have a Youngnuo 600 ex rt and the YN E3 RT that i used with my Canon.  I am thoroughly confused--going to trying to find out whether this set up can also be used with the Sony a7rII---if it can--how do I get it to work??  I have set it up for the Sony but the transmitter won't fire the flash.

Is there another inexpensive set up out there that will work?  I am just looking to use one flash off camera.

Thanks so much.

I use Yongnuo 560iii with my a7Rii, a7ii, and a7 without issue. I use the YN-560TX controller. I can't imagine the 600's being any different. 

I do shoot manual. I don't care for the auto features at all. I do wish someone would make a nice HSS package for the Sony's. I would like to move to a Baja B4 but they don't have a Sony HSS remote yet. :-(