New A7II arrived

Tachikaze

It arrived factory new from Adorama via Amazon well-packed along with the kit 28-70mm lens and the Tamron 20mm ƒ2.8. Battery needed two hours to charge completely — guess I'll need to buy myself a spare right away. System version of both camera and kit lens are current so no futzing around with Sony's gobbdegoop array of goofy software. Took a look at all the software available from Sony and decided to pass on all of it. I don't need some clunky wireless driver clogging up my Mac, and I know how to use a bloody USB cable and a SD card reader, so what's the point? I did connect the camera to my WiFi but I don't know what I'll do with that feature since I don't need any of that goofy lifestyle-ish software that will soon be "deprecated" anyway. The camera works perfectly and Pixelmator and Photomator support the Sony raw format, so I'm good to go.

Love the feel of the thing. I have pretty big hands but am having no trouble operating all the controls. Because they intimidate people and draw attention to me, I don't like lenses that stick out a mile so the 28-70 and the 20mm are ideal and unobtrusive. A Tamron 70-300 may be in my future at some point, but I don't need it right now. My photography is nearly always a wide landscape or interior, a normal tabletop shot, or a macro closeup (the Tamron does 1:2 macro) so I think I'm covered for now.

Sold my entire 2010-era Nikon D7000 DX rig with three lenses to B&H and good riddance. It was a bear to carry around and way over-featured for what I do. Nikon served me well for over three decades but that ship has sailed for me now. I learned on a then-new Nikon FM2 back in ancient times, so my return to full-frame is a great feeling of coming home.

Congratulations!!!

As a FM2 user, it will take you some time to get used to battery-dependent gear.  The two hour charging time is a PITA for sure.  That's why some people still keep their old gear -- it will work when it's 10 below!!!!