Sony 24-105 or Sig 24-70?

Question for the experts. I have an A7R3 and torn between a daily driver lens, Sony 24-105 or Sigma 24-70 (local shop is out of the Tam 24-70 so that's not really an option.) Both get similar reviews and are the same price. I'm used to shooting with a 28-75, but I've ran into times where I wish I had the extra reach. I've also ran into times where the faster f/stop comes in handy. Opinions?

No need for an expert answer.  With your camera, you can always crop, but your camera can't give you a faster aperture.  So it would appear that you have to decide which is more important.  How often would you use f2.8 vs how often would you end up cropping?  Only you can answer that.

Edited by XKAES

I'm pretty much split 50/50 on that question. Crop or have the convenience of a stop faster. Wish it could be both. One other thing I'm considering is with the 24-105 and the availability of a longer zoom 100-400(ish), I could effectively eliminate the need for something in the 70-200 range (which is my least used lens in my non-Sony kit). I do alot of night photography but even then don't usually open wider than f/5.6.

I know you're looking for real life reviews, but the reviews on line for the Sony 24-105mm are exceptionally good

"Highly recommended", (Photolife) "The best mid-range zoom for full frame Sony cameras" (Ken Rockwell), "Highly recommended" (EPhotozine), "The perfect choice for full frame shooters" (Amateur Photography)...

One review notes that this lens is the best although it is not a G Master.

The Sigma Art lens also gets good reviews but seem to be "A viable alternative" rather than the standard to aspire to.

1 hour ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

The Sigma Art lens also gets good reviews but seem to be "A viable alternative" rather than the standard to aspire to.

That's because the 24-105 was there a couple years earlier than the Sigma: at the time there was only the Zony 24-70, the 24-70 GM and the 28-70 kit lens. It did set the standard at that time, but nowadays there are viable alternatives which are equally good but with different pros and cons.

• 2 weeks later...