Sony A6700

Hi All I normally shoot full frame I have just purchased a Sony A6700 no matter what settings that I change it will only shoot in silent mode checked all over youtube but cannot find an answer can anyone direct me to settings that I can hear a shutter sound in electronic shutter or just tell me that is the way it is

Thanks

I'm not surprised.  I have THREE Sony SLR cameras that are all supposed to have sound mode -- for the shutter, etc.  I can't get any sound out of any of them.  And NO, I don't have a hearing problems.  I have lots of camera that beep, and I hear them clearly.

Good for you! The first thing anyone should do with a new camera is disable all sounds. Not only are the sounds completely unneccesary (why a beep if you also have a green focus confirmation box?) but most of all they are incredibly distracting to people and wildlife around you. Unless subjects looking awkwardly puzzled or slightly frowning with annoyance are part of your creative expression.

Edited by Pieter

I don't fully agree with you @Pieter.

For example, I have had to enable a fake shutter sound when shooting in studio with a model - she was unhappy not hearing the shutter. She depends on hearing the shutter when modelling to know it's OK to change pose.

Of course, the reason I had the problem was that I prefer to shoot silently 🙂

Another place where I accept noise is using mechanical shutter on the A7RV - it's not suitable for use with pure e-shutter.

Sound or not, depends on the shooting situation.

I happen to turn sound on and off on my camera depending on where I am shooting and how much the sound can help me take better shots or on the other side be a nuisance. I even switch to full electronic mode when shooting inside churces or other places of worship where pictures without flash are allowed but quietness and respect are valuable.

3 hours ago, FunWithCameras said:

I don't fully agree with you @Pieter.

For example, I have had to enable a fake shutter sound when shooting in studio with a model

Ok agreed, shutter sound arguably being useful at times. I don't have the luxury of an A9 or A1 so shutter sound is a given for me and can only disable it on occasion with big compromises. As for all the other bells and whistles: please turn them off, for the sake of everyone around you.

Edited by Pieter

Pieter, you've given me another reason why I'd like to turn on SOUND when I'm taking pictures (even though I can't) -- just to annoy people so much that they will keep their distance from me -- and I can get the shot that I want.

THANX

17 hours ago, Pieter said:

Ok agreed, shutter sound arguably being useful at times. I don't have the luxury of an A9 or A1 so shutter sound is a given for me and can only disable it on occasion with big compromises. As for all the other bells and whistles: please turn them off, for the sake of everyone around you.

I have been using an A7RV for a fair bit of shooting (admittedly a reasonably quiet shutter), but I was pleased to return to the blessed silence of the A1 and A9 III (not just when shooting in churches, but when photographing animals and birds). I do enjoy a good spot of silent shooting. I also disable beeps on studio strobes - those can be extremely annoying, especially in groups - I had two rears up fairly high to blow out the background, and a key down middling, and fill even lower. First test shot and “bip, beep, B-BEEEP!” - I was looking for the sound off buttons immediately.

and for @XKAES, I have never tried it, but I have been told that another way to keep others away is to make the sound of “breaking wind”.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wondered: how do you get a historical building to smile? (they've already heard all the good jokes!)

They do not smile. They are still used to be drawn in paintings and not in candid pictures.