A7II or A7rII

Rogier

Hi,

My A99 is almost dead, and at the moment i do a lot of work with my A6000 16-70mm Zeis and the awesome  8mm samyang. Now i'm thinking to change from my A99  to the A7 series, the weight and smaller size is really important for me. At the moment i've got the A-mount 70-200 2.8 G / 24-70 2.8 carl zeiss and the 50mm 1.8 as my main working lenses on the A99. I'm using my camera's a lot in the mountains (rock-climbing (dust....), freeride-skiing (water) so my bodies don't last very long (the rII is maby a little expensive for this type of torture. 

And now i'm wondering if i should by the Sony A7II with directly the zeiss 16-35 mm and the La ea4 or the A7rII and use my a-mount lenses with the sony La ea4 for a while longer.

I don't need the extra megapixels, i mostly work for magazines and websites. But extra dynamic range is always welcome. And a good fast autofocus is really important with ski-shots. I don't need good low-light performance. I do also a small amount video, 4k is nice but not worth the extra 1500 euros... 

Every day i'm changing my mind between those two bodies. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Rogier!

I am, or was in the same situation as you. I've sold my A99V and am in possession of the A7RII for a few days.

The A77RII is naturaly smaller than the A99V, but not much lighter (660g compared to 870g - with SD card, Accu and GGS protector).
I use it only for special tasks such as Macro, architecture, concerts and other events with fixed focal length (16 / 35 / 50 / 90 mm M). For hiking in the mountains or elsewhere, I use the A6000 with the 10-18 mm and the A5000 with the 18-105 mm (or hopefully soon the A7000, because of the viewfinder!).

Whether the extra cost of 2.000, - € for A7RII opposite the A7II worth must ultimately everyone decide for themselves. For (mountain) hikes, they are less suitable in my opinion both.

Enjoy the selection!

If you can use the A6000 whenever you need fast AF, I would in fact consider an original A7. Compared to the A7II, for nearly half the price:

-Dynamic range is just as good

-Even smaller & lighter

-Equal AF performance while using A-mount lenses.

-Did I mention it's nearly half the price? Important for a body that will get abused. Means you can also get a second hand A7Rii in 18 months, all for not much more than the price of one A7II today.