Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

Old Minolta user, then Nikon, then Fuji and now fortunately a Sony A7rII user.  Picked up the 50 1.8, 35 1.4 and 70-200 f4 lens.  Have Canon Tilt and Shift 24mm and the newer 70-200 usm II using the Metabones iv.  Sony lens are truly bringing out the best of the A7rII. 

Started with minolta and went to sony because of the lenses.

Started with the a390 in 2011, then I bought the a580 and yesterday I bought a classic, the a100 with a whole kit in a bag, and fun it is.

As a replacement for the a390 I wanted to go to the a77 but I didnt like it..then I looked for canon or nikon in this class but couldnt find one i liked, passed the sony's because of sony's electric viewfinder which i do not like. But bought the sony a580 and I love it.

And now I survive on three alpha's the a390 a100 and a580.. and when they die, I do not buy an electronic viewfinder camera.

I have an A7 and a NEX 6, but have just received an A7R Mk II. I tend to use mostly old Minolta lenses, although I do have the FE 35mm F/2.8.

I used Canon for 15 years and loved my 5D Mk Ii, but then found all the good gear too heavy to carry around. Consequently sold it all and started with an NEX. Probably the A7R II will be my last camera purchase for a while. So far I love it.

I am happy with the old Minolta lenses, especially the primes, but may look at the BATIS range in the future. I am not sure if paying 3 times the price of the Minoltas is worthwhile. The BATIS 25mm F/2.0 looks tempting.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too, I have to Canon DSLR's (5D Mark II and III). I bought the a7RII this August, because it offers so much more to facilitate my work. IBIS, tiltable screen, easy manual focus, Eye focus and 4K etc.

I was almost ready to buy the new Canon 5DsR, but the fact, that Canon deliberately hold back more advanced features, let me hesitate. Then, the Sony has been announced...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter Kelly

My digital journey:

Dimage 7i, A1, A2, then KM7D. Sony A900, A99, A7S and now A7Rii.

Included in the mix has been Sony A850, A55, A7, and RX10.

At the moment I still have the RX10 and 2 each of the A7, A7S, and A7Rii. Both the A7 are going, together with one of the A7S

I honestly don't think any of them has been anything other than excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I started my photography journey with A500, my first DSLR. To explore legacy lens and manual focusing, I bought myself Nex5N along with a few Minolta SR mount Lenses and film camera. It is a matter of time I upgrade to FF, A850 and A7r. Both are great cameras.

Started with this ( my father's )

Yes, separate meter and the little box besides it is a rangefinder ( to measure subject distance )12978865514_2ab56d28b9_b.jpg

Then after a summer job, i was able to afford this in 1973

8223060824_3dc1b01eeb_b.jpg

Just could not afford a real SLR myself. My father purchased a Minolta SRT102 with a MC Macro Rokkor 50mm F3.5 in 1972 ( this kit actually cost about 5 months of mortgage payments at the time) and i was allowed to borrow it around the house. Stil have it.

Next purchase was a Minolta Maxxum 7000i in 1988 with Minolta's AF 28-85, 70-210 and 50 Macro.

Soon followed by a discontinued Maxxum 9000

I found the AF system somewhat missing in Macro so i later got myself a full bellows kit along a couple of MF bodies ( X700, X-570, XD-11 )

Then a Maxxum 700si in 1991 as it came out along with 5400HS flash ( first with HSS and my intro to WL TTL)

With the kids arriving and all the house chores, could not really touch new stuff until 2005 when i got my first digital camera,a Minolta Dimage A200 ( nice but so much slower reacting than a true SLR that i consider it was a mistake since a Maxxum 7D would have cost not much more. Then as i learned Minolta was going out of the photo market, i rushed to get one of the last Maxxum 7D's i could find since at that point i had 13 AF lenses. Still have it.

News that Sony was introducing new digital SLR still with A-Mount got me reassured and jumped on a A700 in 2008

Since then added A900, A77, then NEX-7 (to re-use my old Minolta MC lenses and bellows ) 

Jumped again on A7r just as it was introduced since i can now use all of these Rokkor lenses in native mode.

14965562608_1d0d6aae24_b.jpg

I also have a very complete flash collection dating back late 50's so i must be getting old since in my lifetime as an amateur, i have seen appear:

TTL metering

Auto mode ( A-Mode and S-Mode and P-Modes)

Auto wind of film

Sensor auto flash

TTL auto flash

Wireless TTL autoflash

HSS

Autofocus

When i need to relax, i try all sorts of old equipment to see how it compares with today's stuff

15049800417_cb7971f166_b.jpg

10089245703_6592e24a6b_b.jpg8712858350_3948a157f5_b.jpg

There is nothing like the smell of a just fired flash bulb!

Well I use a Sony A77 SLT - when I'd had i t a year a friend offered to sell me his Sony A900 full frame.  So I currently use them both.

The A77 is an upgrade from the A700 - I wanted Live view and an articulated screen - plus better low light performance. I'd previously had an A100 which my daughter still uses.

The A900 is a whole different ballgame, and I've slowly been acquiring Sony and Minolta full frame AF lenses to go with it.

The A77 is for magazine social shooting, friends wanting a picture taken etc. With a zoom lens, it's the most versatile The A900 is for when I am out having fun and want to come home with a landscape which will blow up nicely and end up on Explore on Flickr - which has indeed happened a time or two!

• 2 weeks later...

A7II and A7RII...not really sure that the A7RII is worth twice as much as the A7II...but boys and their toys.

The AF on the R2 is pretty great.  I don't shoot video.  Would consider selling the A72, for a A7S2 as I love

shooting low light...but frankly the A72 shoots pretty great in Low Light. 

One beef that I have is the OOC colors.  Love the Leica colors, and the colors that come out of my Oly OMD-5M2

are really special. Blues and Greens are really nicer to my eyes.  I am up for suggestions on how to tweek.  I've set

my A7II to candesent light to adjust out the magenta.

Decided to get back into photography last year. Shot Canon and Bronica 645 many years ago.

My old Canon 20D just wasn't doing it for me, so I was going to go for the 5Dmk3, but for a lot less cash, I ended up with the a6000 which is amazing.

Now saving for the A7r2 .  It's nice I can use my old Canon lenses but really the only one worth using is the 100 mm f/2.8 macro.

• 2 weeks later...