Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

I've used most every Minolta film camera .... but

those were not my *earliest*  cameras. I don't go

back as far as pre-film, but almost, so I'll spare

you the gorey details. IIRC, my 1st really good

camera was an Ikoflex. I think I can say for sure

that my oddest camera was a Globuscope. Just

fill in everything between those two with plenty

of  no-holds-barred imagination and you'll pretty  

much get it right as to my hardware legacy. 

My only digital Minoltas are a Nex 6 & 7, which

are among the verrry few cameras I ever bought

new-in-the-box. My preference for used gear is

so ingrained that I'm a fish out of water here in

this digital scene where "barely used" is already

equal to "semi obsolete antique doorstop". 

Other than typical kit lenses that came with the

Nex bodies, I depend on an LAE2 and F-mount

LensTurbo to access my ancient glass collection.

I'll prolly get an A7MkII and some more adapters.

My idea of an "ultimate" camera is nothing at all

like the dreams many forum members post about.

I just wanna put a sensor where my film used to

be, and I have always worked with very low light

levels so the "new normal" of 4- and 5-digit "film

speed" is quite welcome, as is substituting IBIS

for the monopod and beanbag. So, the A7MkII is

it for me. If there was an "S" version .... and if it

didn't cost almost $1000 extra, it would definitely

be mine. 12 MP is *plenty* in the real world.  

If I were stuck forever with my current Nex 6 & 7

there's really nothing you can do with any latest

model top-of-line camera that I can't also do the

same with my current gear. I just hafta work harder

and smarter .... and thaz never been a problem ;-) 

A7 for me. I have a ton of vintage glass and this was the lowest cost full frame option without having to use a Glass adaptor. Although I got some great shots from my 5d with a glass adaptor, it bothered me not having the full clarity of my vintage rokkors. The introduction of the A7MkII dropped the prices enough on the original A7 for me to sell the 5d. Although 12mp was certainly enough for anything I print, I love having the additional resolution for cropping. I have found the files produced by the A7 are very robust.

Have a Nex-3N for two years now and an Alpha 6000 for one year. The SELP1650 is on the 3N which is mostly used by my wife. I use the A6000 with SEL35F18 most of the time. I have also the SEL55210, the SEL16F28 and the 0,66x converter for it. I also have an old Prakticar 50 f/1.8 lens which I only use for Portraits and Macro.

I should have introduced myself in the newbie section but I am anxious to get some answers. I am a Pro Photographer for 15 years and yes I too started with Minolta. I still have a Minolta 7D. Have bought and sold many Alpha Cameras. I now have (oldest to newest) an Alpha 580, an A77, an A99, an A77II and just bought today the A7II. I have many A Mount Lenses. My Zeiss Vario Sonnar 24-70 2.8 T being my best and most used right now, especially for full frame work. My Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM (also full frame) lens is my next most used. Many others that go back in time. I seem to have a liking for Sigma (18-250, f3.5-6.3 - C size ) and 17-35 f2.8-4 Full Size). My Minolta 50mm f1.7 is still razor sharp and probably 30 years old, Same for my Minolta 70-210 f4 Beer Can. 

My question is now that I have made the jump to E Mount (the camera comes with a Sony FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6 OSS), I still want to use my A Mount Lenses. What A Mount to E Mount adapter do you folks recommend? I am not interested in the lowest price.

Have an A7s and A7 II     Had a A7r but sold it.     Started using for a back up to my Leica M (type-240) and now that the A7 II is out, will probably be my primary camera !!  Quality up to par with my Leica and better ISO.

Guest PenGun

I should have introduced myself in the newbie section but I am anxious to get some answers. I am a Pro Photographer for 15 years and yes I too started with Minolta. I still have a Minolta 7D. Have bought and sold many Alpha Cameras. I now have (oldest to newest) an Alpha 580, an A77, an A99, an A77II and just bought today the A7II. I have many A Mount Lenses. My Zeiss Vario Sonnar 24-70 2.8 T being my best and most used right now, especially for full frame work. My Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM (also full frame) lens is my next most used. Many others that go back in time. I seem to have a liking for Sigma (18-250, f3.5-6.3 - C size ) and 17-35 f2.8-4 Full Size). My Minolta 50mm f1.7 is still razor sharp and probably 30 years old, Same for my Minolta 70-210 f4 Beer Can. 

My question is now that I have made the jump to E Mount (the camera comes with a Sony FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6 OSS), I still want to use my A Mount Lenses. What A Mount to E Mount adapter do you folks recommend? I am not interested in the lowest price.

Might as well get into it. Umm a pro who has done no research ... well everyones a pro these days. Here ya go:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008165-REG/sony_laea3_a_mount_to_e_mount_lens.html

The cheaper one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819768-REG/Sony_LA_EA2_A_Mount_Lens_to_NEX.html

The one with the cool Translucent Mirror and built in autofocus motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the A7 so that I could use my extensive range of Konica Hexanon AR lenses again, they having been acquired and used by me in the late 70s to early 90s and in the cupboard unused for 20 years or more.  Very pleased with the results I am getting using a cheap adapter.  Even so I must say I am very happy with the Sony kit zoom that came with the A7.  The disadvantage of using the old manual lenses on the A7 is no anti-shake.  Looks like I am going to have to swap the A7 for an A7 Mk2, dammit!

A7r. I still use 5d Mk III for commercial work when I'm moving fast and relying on autofocus. Otherwise, it's all Sony. 

I'd waited and waited for Canon to bring out something that had the IQ of 36MP. Finally gave up and went with the A7r. Nothing better for IQ when paired with the Zeiss FE 55mm 1.8.

Currently: A900, A77MII, A7R. Started with A100 which I bought in Hawaii first year it came out. That sold me on Sony. I had the A700 when it came out. Travel and landscape photography consumed most of my imaging before I got the A7R. Now I am into birds and wildlife. I am a "enthusiastic amateur". I also have the RX100mIII for "concealed carry" and family shots. My favorite lenses include the Minolta 70-300 mm "Beer Can", 2.8/70-200 G zoom, FE 4/24-70, SAL 2470Z Zeiss, 4-5.6/70-400 G, Minolta 50mm, and Sony 2.8/100 MACRO plus other Minolta A mount legacy glass. My favorite cameras are the A77MIII and the RX100. From day one, I have been pursuing greater resolution and obviously I have primarily looked to pixel count to achieve that. I am trying to break free of that and take a broader means to great image quality.

I started digital using the Sony Mavica camera and worked my way up the ladder. Sony 707, 828 and then went to first Canon Rebel 300. Then Sony acquired Minolta and came out with the A100. Sold my Canon and lenses. My A mount cameras went from A100, A200, A550, A580 and A700 OVF's. I now have the A77 as backup to my A77II. Usually have my Tamron 150-600 on the A77II and Sony 70-400G2 on the A77. I use the Tamron 16-300 as my walk around lens and Minolta 500 AF Reflex when I want a light combo.

• 1 month later...

Have used a variety of cameras over the years with lots of experimenting.  That has led me through Pentax, Mamiya, Olympus, Hasselblad, medium format, large format including 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 and a couple of 11x14 enlargers etc.etc. etc..  My first digital was an Epson which my wife convinced me to try.  I was very resistant, having so much invested in film gear and a complete darkroom set up -- the best ever in my whole life which included some with dirt walls.  I still hang on to some film gear like a fairly complete set of Pentax 645 A lenses with two bodies -- N and NII --and a couple of Fuji 6x9's.  

The first few shots from that 4 or 5 mp Epson beast were depressing.  It was much better than I expected.  It took a couple of weeks to recover my composure.  I had no idea digital had come so far.  The rest is history as they say.  Now eagerly awaiting the A9.  Not that I need the resolution -- just sold my A7r because I found it very difficult to use successfully compared to my A7MII.  I just really got hooked on the smoothness and simultaneous crispness of the medium and large format film cameras and have been looking for that same "feel" from digital.  It's coming, just don't see how or when.  It is not just a matter of resolution.  While it sometimes happened, it was hard for me to achieve that look with the A7r but my A7s also has some of that look with just 12mp.  Puzzling to say the least.   The way Sony is tromping forward; it is gonna happen!  They seem to be at the forefront of most of the exciting stuff.  

What a time to be into photography.  Every day has something new to add to the photographic scene. 

• 2 weeks later...

Started out with a Minolta XG-1, then a 3xi, which I didn't like much so I sold it and purchased a 550si, used it for many years, now it is boxed up, stilling on a shelf in the garage. I bought an Alpha a100 back in 2006 (my youngest daughter has it now) which I replaced with an a57 three years ago. I think I was the first person to buy an a57 from Best Buy and review on Sony.com. I think the a57 is a great camera but I want a second body so  I have an a77mii on order and should have it Tuesday. My older daughter, who borrowed my a100 for a couple of years, now has her own a58. She prefers to shoot using  a Minolta 50mm f1.4 prime lens. My favorite lens is my Sony 50mm f2.8 Macro. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm Mike.  I'm New to the forum. 

Love sony.  I shot Nikon back in the 80's.   in the 90's,  I was going through some tough times so ended up selling my Nikon equipment to pay bills.  Bought my First Sony, the A100, when I got back into photography in 2005.  2014, I really got back into photography and got a A77.  Also added Nex 6 because I wanted something smaller for trips. and such.  Nex 6 became my daughter's camera so I added an A6000, then I entered the full frame world with A99 and A7r.  Love em all but I mostly use A7r and A6000.  I love the compact size and hi IQ.  Not giving up my A99, though.  Love that camera.  It's huge, especially when I have a one of the F1.4 lenses mounted and a battery pack, but it feels like an extension of me and always delivers images that I envision.  

I look forward to learning from everyone.  

Mike