Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

I have the a7m2, a recent purchase, its kicking points so far for me.

i come off fuji xe-1 and nex5 and a canon d400.[digital]

Prior to that, which i still have, is a nikon f3 and before that a mamiya c330 [my first film cam, wish id kept it lol]

Im going to purchase a second body once i've got more native lenses, either the future a7s2 or a7r2 and use one for an always carry streety, and one for special needs like resolution or low light and cycle between the two.

p.s. This is a good hangout to learn more about photo craft here. Thanks everyone for your input, its interesting reading, some brilliant & inspiring artists and very helpful information. ;)

Ive been wondering if we could maybe do some photo challenges on here some time? Could be interesting what say? Just a thought/ :P

Bought my a6000 last year, was suppose to get a dslr until my buddy told me about mirrorless cameras that have new "sensor technology" , and the size and weight factor is very different from the bigger DSLRS. I like how compact the camera is and you can just hang it around your neck. I'm hoping future versions of the a6000 will have improved image quality.

Bought my a6000 last year, was suppose to get a dslr until my buddy told me about mirrorless cameras that have new "sensor technology" , and the size and weight factor is very different from the bigger DSLRS. I like how compact the camera is and you can just hang it around your neck. I'm hoping future versions of the a6000 will have improved image quality.

Compelled to say, if you end up with one of the a7 series, as far as iq, you wont go back, unless size/weight ratio and or exceptionally fast auto focus is an absolute imperative ingredient in your shooting procedure.

My old Nex-5 was a great little camera in it's day.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from Ireland.

Only got my A7 yesterday.

The Alpha A7 struck me as an amazing platform covering a hugh diversity of photographic needs. I lookied at all the models, then comparissons.

I primarily shoot panoramic photography.

My prime concerns were Dynamic Range, followed  by Full Frame and Resolution.

My decisions were based upon:
1. The A7 has a better DxO Sensor score for Dynamic Range than the A7 MkII… I know!!
2. For me the A7 was more suitable than the A7MkII, as 90% of the time my camera is on a tripod. So no need for Image Stabilization.
3. As the A7S leans more towards video and a lower Resolution, I ruled it out.
4. While the A7R might have appeared the obvious choice with the higher Resolution. Filesize was a concern, but the A7 still had a better DxO Sensor score for Dynamic Range than the A7R, marginally better, but still better.

It did seem a little wrong for me to be buying the older of the cameras. Price really wasn’t the driving force, but the truth is that the A7 was the best suited for my needs over the other models.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a committed Minolta owner/user since 1963 - Minolta AL-F, then SRT101 and a collection of metal bodied Minoltas and glass ending with 7000.  Favourite was an XE-1 with a 50 1.4.  Joined the digital group (via a Nikon Coolpix 995) with Alpha 100 + SAL1680Z and FF with Alpha 99 + SAL2470Z.  Apart from A100 I prefer to buy established models (once the kinks are ironed out) and the best glass once I've saved for it.  I'm 72 now and don't expect to be buying another camera/lens unless Sony offer a Q lens for a Nokia Windows Phone.  Pig passing window!

Hi Guys,

I have an A7II with the NEX5T as a back up. I detailled what's in my camera bag here with all the accessories.

http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/06/25/whats-in-my-camera-bag-2/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sony Digital Cameras

a6000 (current)

a580 (sold)

a560 (sold) * the camera that apparently no one else bought

a100 x2 (both stollen with about $2000. in lenses,flashes and equiptment.) * favorite camera ever

Other DSLRs

Pentax k-30 (sold)

Canon 3Ti (returned)

Nikon D5000 (sold)

Minolta SLRs

x700 w/MD1 (current)

650si panorama date x2 (sold)

800si (broke, sold)

460si (sold)

700si (sold)

9xi (sold)

7xi (sold)

x9 (sold)

9000 w/MD-90 & BP-90 (sold)

7000 (broke)

X500 (sold)

XG-M wMD-1 & DDB (sold)

XG-1 (sold)

Other brand SLR

to numerous to recount. (sold, broken, etc.)

Rangefinders

Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 (current)

to many others to recount (sold, broken, etc)

We are curious (maybe you are too...)

What Sony Alpha Do You Have?

And leave a comment why you are using it...

Thx

Andreas

I have an Alpha 500 after owning Minolta SRT-101, up through various digital Minolti and ending up with the A-500.  My recent purchase of a pocketable DSC 100 /MIII has inspired me to start saving for an A77/II to replace the 500.

I started with the A350 14mp in 2008, and have really enjoyed it. A couple years ago I decided to upgrade to full frame. I was waiting fot the A99ii, but i decided to pre-order the A7Rii instead. Not sure if that's the right call (emount seems to get more development these days) but I think I will love my new camera when it arrives. I have already bought the Zeiss 35mm 1.4, and Sony 24-240. I think thats a good starting point till i decide i really want out of the camera. I wish I could use those lenses now but I can't till August (?). I also have a point and shoot DSC-HX20V 18mp 20x zoom. It's great for concerts when you can't bring a big camera in.

1. Moving from Nikon D5100 16 MP to A6000

2. Reasons: weight/size, 24 MP vs 16 MP, 90% comparison ratings of A6K to many others - A6K came out on top.

3. Also, using Lightroom metadata - validated 80% of shoots at 70 - 130 mm so 55-200 mm purchased this week (will use the short kit lenses for landscapes if needed). Also, photos used for sharing electronically and family memory captures on Weebly website. Largest printed photo is ONE 16x20 canvas mounted image.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I started with an A55 and moved to an A77 (mk1) At the time they were the best cameras on the market in their price range.

I stil believe Sony is the innovator and the rest are just followers.

• 2 weeks later...

My Sony journey began with a NEX-5N because my Nikon D700 was not suitable in some situations. Then came a Nikon D800 and an Olympus OM-D EM-5 which my wife hated because of the menu system. Traveling with the D800 and 6-8 lenses was a pain. I ordered the A7R the day it was announced and kissed the Nikon system goodbye. The EM-5 got replaced with a A6000. Today we no longer have a big and a small system, we only have one system that suits all purposes. Now, after 22 happy months with the A7R it will soon be replaced with the A7R II.

Well , I started with A77 with 16-50mm 2.8 kit lens

Then A99 , A7 , A7R , A77II , A5100

Now I have only A77II for bird photography only and A5100 for everyday casual shooting.

Waiting for the new FF A-mount, but if it won't be what I'm looking for then I will go for A7R II.

I also have Sony A100 and Konica Minolta 7D with many Minolta AF and MD/MC glass, those are my babies :)

I guess it became a hobby to collect legacy lenses , or maybe a disease :/

• 3 weeks later...

as per signature, an Alpha 99, my first camera's were Minolta, but when digital came around to buy I ended up going Canon. Being that I work within the retail camera industry I was talking with my Sony rep and was made an offer to buy at a reduced price, I decided to up and sell all my Canon gear and purchase a A77 but after making the commitment to do such a thing Sony announced the A99 which was great having had the EOS5D I didn't want to not have full frame and alas the rest is history.