What 50mm lens would you recommend for under $1000

I have an A7IV with several zoom lenses, but I'd like to get a prime lens. The Sony 1.4 and 1.2 lenses are more than my budget will comfortably allow. The Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens is on sale right now for $198 which is tempting, but the reviews are mixed. 

The Sony FE 50mm f/2.5 G Lens is $548 and it's interesting. I do like the small form factor. 

I have zero experience with buying prime lenses or brands other than Sony. I'd love to hear recommendations!

If you can handle a manual focus lens that works really well with Sony bodies, I'd suggest the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 50mm f/2. The coolest part is that it talks to the camera, communicating the current setting of the aperture ring, and when the focus ring is turned (at which point it zooms-in the view to assist with accurate focus). It's a small lens, built well, and basically all metal and glass.

It's very sharp, and with a bit of effort it can produce beautiful images.

I agree with Olaf.  Get a Sony FE 1.8.  Used they cost around $100.  Seems ridiculous to me, though. It's basically the same as the Maxxum (a-mount) 50mm version.  I got mine for $10.

Edited by XKAES