Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

• 4 weeks later...

I have the a6000. I had been looking into a Canon when a good friend of mine suddenly bought the 7 while attending the show in Las Vegas. Leaving his Canon system. Shortly after he did, another friend, dumped his Canon for Sony after he got to play with his brother's Sony. They both started talking about how much they loved their 7s. I decided to go with the a6000 about this time, when yet another long time Canon owner friend made the switch. In discussing my a6000 with another photographer she had just purchase the Nikon of her dream months earlier. Yup you guessed it! She cursed me and his currenting switching systems.

We are curious (maybe you are too...)

What Sony Alpha Do You Have?

And leave a comment why you are using it...

Thx

Andreas

I couldn't vote as my camera isn't listed :) I'm a new member of the forum and just ordered a Hasselblad HV which (as I'm sure almost everyone knows) is the A99 in different clothes... I hope I'm still welcome here among bona fide Sony users? :)

I bought the HV because I've always wanted a Hasselblad, but also because I have no FF capability in my kit bag right now. I shoot Pentax primarily - the K5 & K3 / K3II - and decided a little while ago that I wouldn't jump straight in to Pentax's FF effort (due this year). I really like what I have read and seen about the A99 over time, as well as the somewhat limited but rather good range of full frame Alpha-mount lenses, so the recent heavily-discounted deals on the HV were too good for me to pass up...

I have an A7 and an A6000. The A7 is for use with my legacy lenses (a variety of Minolta Rokkors and one Contax, the Zeiss 90mm f2.8). For lighter, travel use I have a Sony E 16-70mm F4 Vario-Tessar Carl Zeiss on my A6000. For airshows I will couple the FE 70-200 F4 with the A6000.

Cheers

Snowy

The reason for me to use A850 DSLR is that it is FF. I Have tried A99 but the improvment was to small for me to upgrade. I am waiting for A99II to decide if I will stay with DSLR or convert to the E-system. AF perform in low light is important to me, so is low weight and small size. Not an easy choice!

Well, I had been using NEX-6 for a couple of years before committing to FF A7ii last May. The transition was easy to make and naturally I continued to use my modest collection of legacy glass, namely Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 85mm and 35mm, Contax Zeiss 25mm and 50mm f1.4, Konica 24mm and 50mm f1.7, which really have come into their own on a FF stabilised body.

• 3 weeks later...

Thx

Andreas

Is there any way I could communicate with a member of the Sony camera design team?

I bought a DSC-R1 in 2006. I joined a camera club in 2014 and was told the R1 was fixed lens, dead, extinct so I bought an SLT-A77 mainly for its 24MP, ct the R1's 12MP.

I very soon found that my old pictures taken with the R1 were as good as comparable ones in the club.

I put this partly down to the R1's 'Full-time Live Preview'. This makes precise exposure metering so quick and easy.

Impossible to implement without an EVF which is why presumably Sony have forgotten about it. There is certainly nothing like it on the A77 or any other modern cameras I have tried.

Life's too short for preview, click, review, preview, click, review.... which club members are used to.

Now that Sony are going mirrorless maybe someone in Sony could go to their museum, find an R1, charge the battery and set spot metering and zebra.  Then pan round a scene until the exposure is right, AEL, recompose and  click; wysiwyg, no need to review!

(I could go on about the R1's autofocus - way more precise and accurate than the A77. This may or may not be a by-product of the Full-time Live Preview circuitry.)

A couple of years ago I realised I needed lighter gear to travel with. I was so blown away with the image quality from the RX100 that I bought a Nex 6. I got myself the Sony 10-18 f4 and the Sony Zeiss 16-70 f4 to go with this. Before very long I acquired an a6000 and got great results with this set-up as my travel kit. So good in fact that my Canon full frame gear sat unused. So last August I sold all the canon gear and moved to an A7 body and a couple of FE lenses. Generally I travel with the two bodies and 2 lenses for each, a wide zoom and a standard zoom. I try to anticipate what I'm going to mostly be shooting and put the appropriate lens on the A7 and the other on the A6000. I recently bought a Sony FE 24-240mm which has complicated things. It is heavy which rather defeats my purpose for going mirrorless in the first place but it is extremely versatile and now it is my main walkabout lens on the A7 when I travel. I may get another full frame body but I'm not sure which one. IBIS is of little importance to me and since the sensors in the A7 and A7II are the same another A7 would be the most economical option. I'm not sure that an A7RII would make a big difference for what I shoot. I am just a hobbyist after all. I could buy another A7 and the 90mm macro lens instead and have change left over.

• 1 month later...

I started with Canon in the 80's and the Nikon in the 90's. Once digital came around, I bought an Olympus E400 for a couple years then switched to Fuji S-2 and planned on moving to the S-5 but Fuji abandoned their DSLR line-up. I was able to use my NIKON lenses with the Fuji but when it came time to upgrade in 2010, I sold my Nikon glass and switched to the Sony a-700. I bought a Sony A77 II to replace my 700 and last week bought a A7R II. I was going to buy the A99II but it has never been released. I still plan on it if it ever comes out but I thought I would get started in E Mount just in case they kill the A Mount.

I still prefer A Mount for my A Mount glass because the adapters don't seem to work unless I want to use manual focus. I can already tell the A7R II requires better glass than I had anyway so I'm going to buy some E Mount lenses as I can afford it.

• 1 month later...

Started with Leica film rangefinders in High School (a very long time ago)

Then Nikon film DSLR's

Then Canon G series digital (several)

Then Canon crop DSLR's (several, ending with a pair of 7D's)

Then Canon full-frame DSLR's (5D Mark III and 6D) with a lot of glass, mostly L.

Currently I have:

a7R II (with RRS plate)

a7S (with RRS plate)

A6300 (with RRS plate)

FE 16-70 f/4 OSS

FE 24-70 f/4 OSS

FE 70-200 f/4 OSS

FE 55 f/1.8

E 16-70 f/4 OSS

Several CF tripod legs

RRS ball heads

Sachtler fluid video heads

...and an RX100 iii

• 4 weeks later...

A7RII, A7II and A99

All for low light performance, A99 for my Pro Studio work, A7II for 2nd camera at Weddings, A7RII for Travel and Corporate Portraits   Also have a Nikon D750

As for glass 

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f/4

Sony G 70-400mm SSM II f/4-f/5.6

Sony G 100mm Macro f/1.8

Sigma 85mm f/1.4

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8

Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8

Sony Zeiss 35mm f.1.4

Ronkinon Fish Eye 12mm f/2.8

Hat full of old Pentax glass, too many to list. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a NEX-6 with a couple of lens.  The day to day lens is

the SEL3518.  At some point I may move up to a FF model,

but I've been very happy with the NEX-6.

You'll hafta wait for some real progress in the FF line

before moving "up" is noticeably "UP" from a Nex-6.

I love mine. It's not especially inferior to my a7-II. If

it weren't for de-mothballing a huge bag of ancient  

Nikkors, I wouldn't be using a FF, but the a7-II gives

the wide angles their full FoV and provides IBIS, as

all my Nikkors are waaaay too old to be VR versions.

======================================    

For grab-and-go, and various other applications, my

FF sits idle and the Nex-6 gets the gig, usually with

just the 18-55 on it. It's a discontinued lens but I find

I'm really dependent on it, so I acquired another one  

as "insurance". Nothing I do actually demands using

a larger sensor IQ-wise, and so acoarst I don't need

any Zeiss lenses neither !

• 3 months later...

I just became a new member of this forum today, so HELLO everyone.

I recently purchased the Sony A6000 about a week and a half ago to help reduce the bulk of my camera assortment for an upcoming trip to Alaska. I'm not really new to Digital photography, I have a Canon EOS 40D and a Rebel. In the past I shot with assorted 35mm film cameras, Bronica ETRS system and Yashika Mat 124. I don't feel I'm getting the power and full use out of my digital cameras so I will be looking to take a course at the local community collage as well as soliciting advice from this forum.

I have an A7s for low-light stills, an A7rii for higher resolution, and an infrared converted Nex5n.

I have an SEL 24-70mm which is broken, an FE 70-200mm f4, Voightlander Super Heliar II 15mm, and a large selection of Pentax and Minolta legacy glass.

I switched from Pentax a while ago; I miss the weather sealing, which quite frankly is totally crap on the Sony cameras. I am very happy with the images from both A7's though.

Thx

Andreas

I Have a number of Sony Digital cameras. My first a DSC P-1, a Sony HDR XR100, a NEX 5, a DSC W80, a DSC H9, a DSLR A100, a DSLR A550,  a DSLR A55 and a DSLR A77. Looking to purchase the Sony A99ll  when available in Australia. I also have over 18 various lenses. I was about to bail out of Sony in disgust when a number of reports stated Sony was dropping the A mount system. If they do not continue with the A mount I will get rid of it all.