Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, Willy79 said:

I enjoy my A6500 for a simple APS-C camera.

I enjoy A7C for light weight FF and simplicity.

Out of curiosity, as an A6500 user who loves the small form factor but who also sees the merits of full frame: for what use case do you prefer your A6500 over the A7C, except better physical controls? A hypothetical A7Cii with the physical controls and viewfinder of the A6500/A6600 (except the awkward movie button position) would combine the best of both worlds to me.

The survey needs more categories.

I've owned 4 different A7R bodies (I didn't own the original) - still own the IV and V. I use the A7RV for the amazing AF and the highest pixel count.

I've owned an A9 (mark II). No category for that in 2014, but you could add it.

I own an A1 - you could add that, too. I use it for silent shooting and rapid frame rate. I was even using it in the studio, but the A7RV is better.

On 7/1/2015 at 9:29 AM, Saratoga said:

Km5d, then after another body when I thought it was time to retire that body, I moved up to an A700 a few years back

I thought I'd add a little to this. 

Sooo. The KM5D is long retired and I went onto a Sony A700 which served me well over the years. Then I wanted something new and ended up with an A55.  Last summer my bright niece was bored and after a trip to visit the family it was elected that she liked the lighter A68 over the A700 and the next time I used the A700 I did find it was a lot older and heavier than I remembered and decided it was time for an upgrade.

So. Later in the year I bought an A77ii. Still APS-C but it came with a few FF lenses. I have quite a few of them now too. The Sigma 18-200 went with the A55.

For lenses, I've a Minolta 50mm (tiny thing) and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Sigma 18-35 f/1.8

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and 75-200 f/2.8. 

A few months back I accidentally bought an A7S. Which is not AF style lenses. Oh well. Adapter then more lenses.... :o

Started with Olympus omd em10 about 8 years ago. It was really fun and got me interested in shadows, B&W, and most of all: music venue pics. Photographing my friend's band (Scam Avenue--check them out) was a thrill, but it really pushed me to think about low light needs.

Then I moved to a Canon G7. This was just as compact, but couldn't handle the low light that well.

Then I moved up a bit to a Canon m50. This was also fun and small. Still not able to handle dark concerts. Great for travel though!

So, I saved up and traded up to Sony A73. This worked out, great low light capability and super AF. It has taken a while to find the right lens combination (prices!).

So, after a few years with the A73, I saved up again and traded up to A74. I can't imagine needing more power than this. It handles everything I throw at it. That said, I'm hobby level, and so low light concert/club pics are not easy.  

Lenses:

Sony: 50mm 1.8; 28-70 (3.5-5.6); 28-60 (4-5.6)

Tamron: 28-200 (Di3 RXD); 17-28 (Di3 RXD) these two live on my camera.

SLR Magic: 50mm 1.1

Sony A7C > Oly OMD EM1.2 > Oly OMD EM10.2 > Oly OMD E-PM1 > Canon S100 > Canon 60D > Canon 20D > Canon G3 > Canon A40 (my first digital) > Canon EOS Rebel... then it all gets a bit blurry. My first camera was a black box which shot 6x6 film, after that a more serious Exa 1b!

Somewhere during my EM10 years I also had a Sony RX1. Couldn't live with its shortcomings, but when the A7C came out, I became interested, and indeed, it does everything the RX1 did plus a whole bunch more, still at a fairly compact size/low weight. I do miss focus bracketing a lot. I still use an infrared converted Oly along with the Sony.

Lens-wise, I am pretty much set. I prefer to shoot primes, manual focus works for me.

• Voigtlander 15
  • Sony 20
  • Sony 28-60
  • Samyang 35
  • Voigtlander 50
  • Samyang 75
  • Samyang 85
  • Tamron 70-300
  • Rokinon 300

I go hiking a lot and prefer to pack light, usually it's the A7C with the 15, 50, and 300, or maybe 15, 28-60 and 75, or some other combo that doesn't bog me down too much. If I expect wildlife I take the Tamron tele along with something wider. My favorite lens is the Voigt 50/2.

I have a Sony A1 and A7S3. Both are fairly interchangeable for video, though A1 has 8K, and S3 has the edge in low light. I'm really disappointed at the lack of firmware updates (as of March-23) for both, given the features added to the A7R5 and the new ZV-E1. I see no reason why the firmware features on the ZV-E1 can't be made available on the S3. I think Sony is seriously disregarding the loyalty shown by those who buy the flagship cameras. 

I also have the RX100 Mk7 for casual use. 

Sony Lenses: 50mm f1.2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 16-35 f4, 24-70 GM Mk 1, 70-200 GM Mk 1, 50mm f1.8.

I think that's about it. :) 

I use this kit as a professional photographer and mainly videographer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, Happy Drax said:

Started with Olympus omd em10 about 8 years ago. It was really fun and got me interested in shadows, B&W, and most of all: music venue pics. Photographing my friend's band (Scam Avenue--check them out) was a thrill, but it really pushed me to think about low light needs.

Then I moved to a Canon G7. This was just as compact, but couldn't handle the low light that well.

Then I moved up a bit to a Canon m50. This was also fun and small. Still not able to handle dark concerts. Great for travel though!

So, I saved up and traded up to Sony A73. This worked out, great low light capability and super AF. It has taken a while to find the right lens combination (prices!).

So, after a few years with the A73, I saved up again and traded up to A74. I can't imagine needing more power than this. It handles everything I throw at it. That said, I'm hobby level, and so low light concert/club pics are not easy.  

Lenses:

Sony: 50mm 1.8; 28-70 (3.5-5.6); 28-60 (4-5.6)

Tamron: 28-200 (Di3 RXD); 17-28 (Di3 RXD) these two live on my camera.

UPDATE:

Just sold the A74 and got the smaller A7cii. I was not taking the A74 out that much because I felt it was too professional and bulky. Wanted to keep my rig small and my camera shelf manageable. So far I love the Cii. Extra stabilization is noticeably better. Wish the viewfinder was a notch better, but has not held me back. I find I put it in my bag more often even when I'm not planning on taking pics.

The 20-40 and the Sony 24 are my daily drivers now.

Lenses:

Tamron: 28-200 (Di3 RXD)

Tamron: 20-40 Di III VXD (new: lovely, light, compact)

Sony: 24 FE 2.8 G (new: lovely, light, compact)