Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

Well i started with a Sony Nex 6 two years ago. Just for fun I tried a simple manual adapter to use an old Minolta 50 1.7 from my Minolta 7000. It was surprising easy to use manual focus together with the peaking function.

So meanwhile I collected a lot more "old glas" to use it on my digital cameras. For the use with wide angle lenses and at low light I bought this year a A7.

For macro and portrait I can´t see a big advantage for the use of autofocus. So you have a great choice of excellent  lenses at much lower prices than the new stuff (if available).

Regards Berthold

Hi,

I started with Minolta film cameras.

Went to Konica Minolta 7D

Moved on to Nex7

Bought various Minolta/Sony alpha lenses

Bought Zeiss and Sony e mount lenses

Bought LAE2 adaptor

A6000 and new A7MkII are tempting but I'm waiting for either a A7000 or the A9 before spending more.

Nex7 is a cracking camera, still, given it is now a bit 'old'.

Going A9 will mean a lot of px!!

I started taking pictures with my father's Minolta SRT-101 when I was a kid.

Last year I changed a Canon 5D mark II for a Nex 7. Best decision of my photographic life ever: it is sharper, with better dynamic range and it is obviously way more compact and light. 

Now I'm waiting for a ~50Mp body (I shoot almost exclusively natural landscapes), even though I will hang on the Nex 7 for vacations and action shots.

As for the lack of lenses in the E & FE systems: I don't care. Even when with Canon alongside the L glass I've always used adapted Contax Zeiss and Leica lenses, plus a couple of Olympus OM, Minolta MD, Pentax Takumar and Yashica ML. And while the L glass (I used mostly the 24/1.4 and the 135/2) was sharp in my eyes it lacked "character", so I ended up using the legacy lenses anyway.

Before, I was using a Canon 5DII body with a shaved mirror, required for the use of a number of C/Y Zeiss SWA lenses. The reason for the purchase of the Sony A7 body was, that I could adapt all my C/Y Zeiss glasses, with any f-stop, having an 100% bridge and brillant image provided by the excellent EVF!  This is just wonderful! I am totally happy with my A7, and just bought me, the superb Sony G FE 4/70-200mm lens!

I actually inherited Sony ... way back I used Minolta film cameras, and the Konica Miniolta Dymax 7D ( my first digital camera) and then with Sony a700 and have added the a77 SLT to the collection. 

I will wait for the new year to see what Sony do ... of course the a7 range is very inviting, however I am sure that they are going to go one better in early 2015.

Now here is a thing that may interest some, I often use my old Minolta film lenses with my Sony SLTs ... and the work very favourably, so much so I am always on the look out for them.

Thanks

I started with a Sony A100 and worked my way up. Currently have an A77II which normally had a Sony 70-400mm f4-5.6 G SSM II Lens attached which I used for air show photography. I now have a Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 SP Di VC USD but not had much use with it yet. The A77II has at the moment a Tamron 16-300mm f3.5-6.3 Di II PZD attached until the air show season starts again when the 16-300 will be attached to a Sony A58. http://duxfordfotogallery.co.uk/#

As I do a lot of museum photography and night photo shots I also have a Sony A7s (best camera since sliced bread :wub: ) with a Sony FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Lens attached but just received a Sony E16-35mm f4 ZA OSS T* lens last week and used on a visit to London this weekend. http://lowlightfotography.webeden.co.uk/lowlightfoto/4586934087?preview=Y

I also have a Sony Nex-6 with a Sony E16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens as a general carry around. :D

Brian

I have the A900 since it's uk release with all minolta lenses, I wanted the A99 as I think it's The A900's natural upgrade. (mainly because I used to have the Minolta 9 - stick with 9's eh), but as I never had the spare funds to get it - I've now decided to wait for the A9 in the hope it's specs will be truly awesome........

I started with a Minolta Dynax 3xi and a xi 35-80 mm powerzoom lens in 1992 when I was 16 years old. Later I bought a Minolta 100-300 mm APO tele for the camera.

In 2004 I started looking for a new SLR but KM didn't have a digital SLR yet. So when the KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D were announced I began dreaming. In 2005 I bought the Dynax 7D which I at that time dreamt about for a year before I bought it together with the Minolta 24-105 f/3.5-4.5.

When Sony overtook KonicaMinolta's photo business in 2006 I was actually pleased because I have always liked Sony products and had several myself.

Later in 2006 the first alpha came out, the alpha100, I thought it was a disappointment compared to the Dynax 7D and the upgrade was not enough for me.

In 2007 the a700 was announced and I was hooked. In 2008 I bought one.

When the a900 was announced I knew I had to own one. So in the summer of 2009 after waiting for the price to settle I bought one.

Since then I gave the KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D to a dear friend and sold the Alpha 700 because of a dead internal battery and because I didn't use it at all.

The Sony Alpha 900 I just love and still use to this date. I actually thought seriously about selling my lenses and the a900 and buying and A7r with the 35mm and 55mm instead, I even had it on ebay but quickly I changed my mind.

The reason was that I studied some raw photos from the A7r and was a bit dissatisfied with the corner performance. I also had the chance to try the A7r and actually liked it except for the front and rear adjustment wheels and the bad ergonomics. It seems Sony have know addressed my issues with the wheels in the a7II but I would like to have more resolution and actually also a bigger body.

So now I am waiting to see where Sony takes the a-mount. With a Large aperture lens on the e-mount body's their smaller size compared to a an a-mount FF camera actually doesn't make a big difference compared to an a-mount DSLT so if Sony develops the a-mount further (I believe they will) I will stay with the good and old a-mount ;-)

Wow that was a bit long I guess;-)

Greetings from David

I started with Minolta SR7 in 1968 and after numerus Minolta SLR filmcameras and a Minolta CLE I finaly got into digital photography with the KonicaMinolta Dimage 7i. After that I have had the D7D and Sony a700. Right now I have the a900. NEX 7 and a7R.

Hi Michael.

How do you find the a7r compared to the a900?

Corner sharpness, AF, Noise and Dynamic range.

Greetings from David

I have two Canon DSLR's a Nikon D7000 and my Sony A77 previously the A700. I bought the A77 becasue it is just years ahead of the competition. The fast frame speed dojng wildlife photography is a must, the focus peeking is great the build quality and I also think Sony have the best lenses in the world. I just dont buy the nonsense that Sony's lens lineup is lagging. 

Hi,

I have a Sony A900 and, more recently an A7R.

I originally purchased the A900 soon after it was launched, as being the only affordable 24Mp full frame camera.

Principally I use the 16-35 and 24-70 f2.8 Zeiss lenses and Sony 70-210 f2.8G lens.

I also use wide aperture primes when they suit the application better.

I mainly shoot weddings and events and use the A7R for landscapes with a Sony A mount adapter .

Attached is a recent photo taken on the Isle of Skye with the A7R.

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have an Alpha 350 bought new in May 2008 in the twin lens kit and have been delighted with it ever since.

In preparation for a trip to New York and New England Autumn 2012 I bought the Tamron 18-270 lens which has hardly been off since.

Before the A350 I had a Panasonic TZ3 which rekindled my interest in photography, this time in digital format. The Panny is still useful to slip into a pocket when the weight and size of the DSLR would be too cumbersome.

My current thinking is that APS is probably now good enough for what I do and I no longer really hanker after full frame. It would be different if I ever enlarged beyond A3 or took up commercial or landscape work.

In time I will probably go for an A6000 with kit collapsible zoom and a longer 'walk about' lens like the A mount Tamron.

I did get some Minolta glasses for free 13 years ago. So i've bought a Minolta Dynax 5.
Then i got the D7D, the A700, NEX5, A850 and the A77.

I was not sure if i should jump ship but as i have some nice glasses i did stay.

So instead of jumping ship i just bought the A77ii

I'm not sure where the path leads with A-Mount but ... well .. let's see what happens