Sony A7II Steady Shot on Tripod

Hi Folks,

A newbie question here regarding Steady Shot on my A7II.

I just got back from doing some shooting at the beach of some light houses using a tripod when shooting.

I turned Steady Shot off in my menu, but when I press the shutter down half way ( i was in aperture mode) I get the shaking hand each time I take a shot.

If I have SS off I thought that I should not be seeing a shaking hand each time.

Am I mssing something here or do I have a problem?

I was using a 24-240MM lens and aperture priority in daylight.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

`  

I have too many differing cameras to keep

everything straight by memory, but I think

IIRC the shaking hand is simply the symbol

indicating a shutter speed below 1/FL. If so

it should ignite to remind you to use a tripod

which you were already using. It could also

be telling you to turn on the IS. Don't know

if it's also programmed to ignite if shutter is

even too slow for the IS to handle.

At any rate, shaky hand prolly means you're

at a slow shutter speed and do whatever is

appropriate for shooting slow speeds.

`

• 6 months later...

I found this thread searching for advice on whether or not to turn the steady shot on when on a tripod.  I did a small test and cannot see much difference with it on or off.  The manual says that the warning indicator flashes in situations where the camera may be subject to camera-shake - use a tripod or flash.  The steady shot function "allows you to shoot with the optimal camera shake compensation for the lens you are using".  This is based on focal length, which you can set automatically or manually.  Don't know how the auto works with adapters and non-e-mount lenses.  Manual says to turn it off on a tripod (page 60), and with adapters, set it to manual and set the focal length manually.  If it is working properly, the focal length should show next to the flashing hand symbol.  Also, works best if when you shoot, you push the button halfway and stop, then proceed.  Don't know how to do this using a remote cord, so this is another reason to turn it off on tripod.  Sorry for the rambling.