Need 1.4 TC caps and case

Hello,

I lost the case and caps for my 1.4 E-mount teleconverter. I'd love to buy an OEM set of caps and case, but can't find anywhere they are sold. My camera shop says they can't get any.  

Certainly I can get an aftermarket case, and will likely do so, but I can't find anyone who makes the cap specific to the non-standard lens-side end of the TC.  Sources? Ideas?  I'm in Portland, Oregon, US.

Thanks in advance! 

Jack Maynard 

Amateur Bird Photog

2 hours ago, Pieter said:

For the caps you just need a rear lens cap (ALC-R1EM) and body cap (ALC-B1EM). Should be able to get those at any major camera store.

No, the TC has a special different cap for the end that connects to the lens... it is not a body cap or a rear lens cap.

Where did you find those model numbers? Maybe I can look there.

My local shop is a Sony dealer and they can't get the one I need.. :(

Thanks for the response. 

Jack 

Ah sorry, you're right: the rotruding part of the TC conflicts with the body cap. You could put a cheap extension tube on the front of the TC to make the body cap fit, but that's not an OEM solution. Is there a Sony Pro Support branch in your country? Best bet is to contact them.

Also interesting read here, apparently these parts are pretty hard to come by:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1607741

You may be able to find a spare parts supplier for Sony parts. I found the name and address of the supplier in my country from one of the support pages on the Sony site. The supplier basically warehouses a whole lot of parts for several manufacturers.

The bonus is that the spare parts are packaging simply in brown boxes or plastic bags - not camera shop glossy packaging, so they are often cheaper. I got some lens rear caps and a camera body cap for substantially less from them.

See if you can find the spare parts supplier for your country (the one in my country doesn't do international sales!).

I've run across a couple of instances where I had to resort to making caps myself -- starting with the standard cap and cutting parts out and adding other parts as needed.  Lots of glue and tape to the rescue.  As Frank Zappa once said -- "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" -- or was that Thomas Edison?  Or George Eastman???

Edited by XKAES

Measure how much of the front element protrudes from the mounting flange and pick up some cheap extension tubes that will clear the protruding front element of the TC and a NEX body cap and you are done.  Or get an xxx brand to nex adapter and the corresponding xxx body cap and that's that.  No need to muss and fuss with glue and tape or whatnot.

My local dealer has located parts from Sony--case and caps for $130 US. I'm lazy and not poor, so will go for it.  Thanks all for the help and suggestions. 

Maybe someone should start 3-D printing these. 

Jack 

YIKES.  At least those that can't "cough up" that kind of cash have some less expensive options.  But they probably don't have a Sony tele-converter anyway!

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SonyFF32137 said:

I was looking for a sony TC and fould this, a source for  Sony TC lens caps.

ebay item # 126249111125

maybe  a little late , but it might help someone else in the same  predicament.

Wow thanks! I have to check with my shop and see if they ever placed my order.