What to by next for the A7II

Heiner1967

Hi,

I am intrested in making really good Quality Pictures, on the other Hand I am not a super rich Person. However I decided to sell my old stuff and bought the A7 II with KIT Lenses. Whow what a Camera, and whow you can realy spend a lot of Money for a camera. But hey, in the Moment I am happy, and I hope this Camera will  be sufficiant for many years.

But now I see I Need somehoew 2 more lenses. 1. One for Portrait and indoor, with very low aperture to get more light and to eliminate easily the Background. 2. A Long Telelense, ideally low aperture to get more light and to reduce shuttertime to get the Picture stable.

for 1) sure there is the 55F18, but I am not certain if 55mm is a bit much but it is payable, the 35F14 would be my dream but I can not afford it, then we have the 28F2, but aperture is a Little high.

for 2) there is the 80-200 F4. That's it.

As I am ok to use used Equipment I thought abut checking out ebay.

I found a full Frame autofocus Adpater for Canon FE Lenses for about 75 Euro

then I found a 50F14 for 100 Euro, or a 35F14 for 300 Euro. -That effectivly a quarter of the Price of the Zeiss 35F14 :)

Also I culd get a 2X Teleconverter for 300 Euro and a Tamron for Canon with 300F2.8 for 500 Euro. That makes a 600mm Lense for about 800 Euro, not cheap but 3 times closer than with Sony. :)

Now I come to you guys, what do you think? where are the disadvantages and Advantages? Where do I get best value for Money.

I know I put this in the area for direct Lenses, but I believe I get here more critical voices than in the other area.

Thanks already upfront for all your recomendations.

Hi 

i would not go for the canon e-mount af adapter!

If you want good af, go for native lenses or a-mount lenses with LA-EA 4 adapter (very fast AF!)

i would take for portrait the FE55, it is also a very good "normal" lens.... i think it is not to long

wide angle..... the kit lens ist good or the FE28 is wonderful

tele? do you need af?

if not take a manual lens like Minolta MD 200 or Cannon FD 300L

if you need a good tele with af think about the a-mount solution

so you could go for a Sigma 50mm 1.4 as portrait lens or the SAL 85f28 as a short tele portrait lens

and a  sonnar 135mm 1.8 or minolta af 100-200mm telezoom as a long telelens

I bought the Sony 2.8/35mm and 1.8/55mm used on eBay.  Saved a bunch and both were used lightly.  If you look on the internet at reviews of the Sony 1.8/55, many reviewers say it is almost as good as the Zeiss 1.2/55 Otus...a US $4,000 lens.  I paid under US $800 for mine and have been very happy. I also like the Sony 2.8/35mm, but I wish I had gotten something a little wider.

To get background isolation a 50mm+ is needed. F2 is already fast enough and you will need a flash in any case to really progress ... I just got my hands on the Sony F43M flash and have only made two test shorts bouncing the flash and from that I can see such an improvement that I know not to waste any more time wondering about f1.4 or larger. Flash is the key to great portraits IMO ... OK there are exceptions but you know what I mean.

FWIW I use a Loxia 50 which is great character lens. Also I have the 70-200G4 and this is a really great lens which can also do portraits. You can see some examples at my 500px site, nothing special compared to the pros but never the less the character of the lens can be seen.

Hi 

i would not go for the canon e-mount af adapter!

If you want good af, go for native lenses or a-mount lenses with LA-EA 4 adapter (very fast)

Does it mean this Canon Adapter is slow? Does it not simply depend on t.he Lense, it should just get the electrical Information plus power.

A-mount is not full frame, my A7 is, another reason to think about Canon. (Nikon Adapter don't do AF)

For long Tele I might not need AF, than again I see the advantage of Fullframe with Canon Adapter

Am I wrong?

the canon af adapter is more than slow it takes 2-5 seconds on my A7 and 60% is not in focus.

Maybe it is better on the A7RII but not everybody is happy with AF, but you can set the aperture and you have aperture info from the lens.

A - Mount is full frame but not the DT lenses, AF with amount lens and LAEA adapter is faster and more precise on my A7 than the native lenses

Hi, many Thanks for your replys.

OK, convienced, I give up the Canon idea.

what I hear is even not to go the LE-LA4 plus SAL50F1.4 route and better pay a bit more and enjoy the brilliant SEL55F18, correct?

What shall i do for 28mm area? LE-LA4 plus 28mm lense, or using a add on Adapter (0,45) to the 55mm lense?

What about Tele? Yes likly I do not need AF. Would you recomend the native 70-200 which is quite expensive, or better LE-LA4 plus 300F28 Tamron

How to go further? Teleconverter is not available for FE Mount but for A-Mount, or bettter a add on Adapter with Factor 2?

Sorry for all this questions, your suggestions are apreciated.

Thanks

Heiner