flash for a7ii

sjfl

Hello-

I see that this has been covered before but I am having a hard time understanding the answers in terms that are specific to my needs. I hope someone has the time and appreciate the assistance.

I have an a7ii and I was using my Konica Hexar flash on the camera as a little bit of extra light when needed. What I liked was it's low profile to camera, it's low weight, and its durability. I am seeking these qualities as I purchase a new flash for this camera. My question is two fold:

1. is there an adapter (and if there is, can you please link me to it) that will take any ole flash and properly deal with the voltage AND enable it to be fired by the hotshoe without a PC cord? If not, what adapter would work with a PC cord? 

2. is there a small/lightweight flash that is durable and that has a low profile to the camera (in other words, the light isn't high off the shoe) that will fire directly from the hotshoe. And if so, are there different models you can suggest that would be TTL and if not, can the power of the flash be adjusted in a range of increments. I am not wedded to Sony and would be happy to purchase another brand.

If you feel that you can answer this question but I didn't make something clear, please contact me so that I can clarify.

As usual, thank you in advance.

Hi,

regarding 1) - I believe that there are such adapters - at least there used to be... as the high voltage plagued flashes are mostly defunct, they may no longer be available though. 

regarding 2) before buying such a low profile flash, I would consider that the very fact that it fires so close to the lens, will enhance the "red eye" problem, which is caused by proximity of the flash to the lens. Not a good thing...

If you want low to the camera, consider using an off camera flash.

The Godox TT685S is a large flash, but their X1 remote is very low.  It is also one of very few remotes that can do TTL, HSS, and 2nd curtain.  It will also control their AD600 monolight when you are ready to move up, and its IR is supposed to be able to trigger Sony flashes as well(I have not confirmed this part myself yet)

JCC

1. is there an adapter (and if there is, can you please link me to it) that will take any ole flash and properly deal with the voltage AND enable it to be fired by the hotshoe without a PC cord? If not, what adapter would work with a PC cord? 

Yes, something like the Foto4easy HC512. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EA05CE4?psc=1

2. is there a small/lightweight flash that is durable and that has a low profile to the camera (in other words, the light isn't high off the shoe) that will fire directly from the hotshoe. And if so, are there different models you can suggest that would be TTL and if not, can the power of the flash be adjusted in a range of increments. I am not wedded to Sony and would be happy to purchase another brand.

Assuming you're aware of the limitations of small on camera flashes and are just looking for something light to carry around to use in a pinch, have you looked at the Sony HVY-F20M. Link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925703-REG/sony_hvl_f20m_external_flash.html

I purchased one to toss in my walk around bag when I don't feel like lugging a larger bag with my Minolta or Godox flashes. I can't speak to it's durability, I've only used it a few times in the 8 months I've owned it. It does feel a bit cheap and I can see controls wearing out over time.

Pros:

-it fits the bill of light weight

-low profile when in the folded off position

-does TTL. Flash power/exposure adjustments are done via camera menu

-can be used as a controller for the larger Minolta/Sony and Godox flashes

Cons:

-no standard on/off switch (you control on/off by unfolding or folding on the base). It's easy to accidentally switch on putting it in a bag.

-uses small AAA batteries that drain pretty quickly. Be prepared to buy some rechargeable ones and carry a few extras.

-only allows direct and 90 degree bounce

-no manual mode

-produces the look you'd expect from direct on camera flash

Just my two cents,

KMG