Hypersync studio flash on A7R (without a mobile speedlite!)

Hallo,

i have a Sony alpha 7R and one question is making me crazy for a while: How can i Hypersync a studio flash on the Sony A7R? Everywhere there is this written solution about using a 2nd flash, but if the studio flash is mounted 3m above the model it sounds more like a joke to me. There are of course some solutions using Wireless triggers for Canon/Nikon but there has to be something for Sony, right? It's making me crazy because i can't find it, also because there is no adapter from canon to Sony Multi-Interface... What can i do?

Thanks in advance,

Maximilian

• 7 years later...

Has anyone had any success finding the right equipment to make their Sony camera perform Hypersync? I currently have the old original Alpha77, ready to purchase something more modern like the Alpha RIV. I would like to confirm I can perform Hypersync with my Elinchrom Ranger RX strobes, I see there is some hype on the internet about Sony cameras being able to perform HSS, this does not interest me, pulsating hot shoe lights are not nearly bright enough for what i am doing. If anyone has any experience with Sony Cameras and Hypersync with strobes Please let me know what you have learned. P.S. I attached a picture i took with My old Alpha 77, I actually used a Norman power pack and strobes plugged into My Grandfathers old Honda gas generator, Thank God for battery powered strobes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HSS does not involve "pulsing" the light - it uses the tail of the light. Funnily enough, the ELC range from Elinchrom have too little tail for it to be effective, but older Elinchroms, and the DLite range work well. At least, that's what the documentation says - I have barely tried it!

The Elinchrom Skyport Plus or Pro (I can never keep those straight) is able to fire Elinchrom strobes in HSS mode. The Sony version of the trigger has the contacts at the front of the shoe, and works well with all the Sony boxes I've used that have the MI shoe, including the A7RIV.