New Body A6700

Okay I really need some advice from a whole bunch of you guys if possible.
Currently I have the Sony a 77 Mark II which is been fine and still is. I know as everything else technology changes every day, so I was wondering about upgrading not to a full frame but to upgrading to the new A 6700 which is coming out shorty. 

Again, the body I have now his work fine, but I think we're going on I think six or seven years old at this point with this body and I just thought it may be time to upgrade?

My purpose for the most part is not movie making mainly stills. Again, I know this camera has a lot more megapixels and it looks like a lot more features by just want to know what you guys think for this as an upgrade??

And yes, I know I have to get a lens adapter for my A mount lenses but was also thinking about maybe getting a lens with this like the Sony FE 50mm F/ 1.4 GM E Mount??

Please help I need some advice.

Thanks to all.

Bob USA

The A6700 is a lot of camera.

It is an APS-C crop camera - I do not know if the A77 was full frame or crop. If you are happy shooting APS-C, then I think this one is hard to go past. It has the excellent sensor from the FX 3, so it has good video, possibly better than the A7RV (I don’t use video).

For a stills shooter, you are getting basically an A7RV in crop mode 😄 It has the new autofocus, which I am thoroughly enjoying, and I think it even has a higher burst speed.

Disadvantages vs the A7RV: it does not offer 60Mp, it has a much lower res viewfinder (2 or 3M vs 9M), and the rear screen is lower res and does not have the fancy tilt’n’flip. Only one card slot, and it’s SD only (not using CFeA in this camera makes sense, anyway). Those are the key differences for me, and why I am not tempted to get one - I really like the EVF in the A7RV.

10 hours ago, FunWithCameras said:

For a stills shooter, you are getting basically an A7RV in crop mode 😄

Not quite. The a6700 is 60% less expensive, 40% lighter and smaller in volume, and it has much better AF in the APS-C region (759 AF points vs ~300 for the A7RV). Depending on your use case, those might all be significant advantages of the A6700 over the A7RV.

21 hours ago, Alpha4213 said:

was also thinking about maybe getting a lens with this like the Sony FE 50mm F/ 1.4 GM E Mount??

Unless you want to keep your kit fullframe-compatible, I'd suggest getting the Sigma 56mm F/1.4 instead: it offers fantastic image quality at ¼ of the price and half the weight. Much better fit on an APS-C camera.

9 hours ago, Pieter said:

Not quite. The a6700 is 60% less expensive, 40% lighter and smaller in volume, and it has much better AF in the APS-C region (759 AF points vs ~300 for the A7RV). Depending on your use case, those might all be significant advantages of the A6700 over the A7RV.

I thought it was an apt way of describing it. You are getting a 26Mpixel image with an APS-C field of view with the latest AF tech. Yes, there are additional advantages (as you point out), and some disadvantages (much lesser EVF and rear screen, single SD slot), but from the image point of view, it's an A7RV in APS-C crop mode, and THAT is well worth having!

This looks like a great option for wildlife and up to date tech for other types of photography (except possibly ultra wide angle work)

I switched from A mount to E mount via the A6500. I started with my A mount lenses and an adapter, then gradually traded them in for E mount lenses - this worked well, especially when I bought better quality, but compact, lenses that were FE comparable (eg Sony/Zeiss 35mm, and the Sony G range.) However, the Sony E 16mm pancake was the worst lens I have ever owned.