Sony Flash (HVL-F60RM) Flickering Before Taking Photo?

Hello,

I recently bought a Sony HVL-F60RM flash. It's my first speedlight so I'm not too familiar with how to operate them. After mounting it to my camera (Sony A7R4) as per the instruction pamphlet, I noticed that when I take a shot, the flash will flicker ~3 times before it actually takes the shot (I've attached a video below—you can hear the flash better than you can see it, but I think you'll see what I mean). From videos of the flash in use that I've seen online, I don't *think* this is normal, but I haven't been able to find what setting would cause this. The flash is in TTL Mode, with HSS on. I've tried the camera in a variety of modes, with autofocus on or off, with fill-flash, auto-flash, and slow flash, and haven't noticed any change. Has anyone seen this before, or can anyone confirm whether this is just how it operates normally? Apologies if this is a super basic question!

Edited by Ruben Martinez
Added more details.

If you don't have red-eye reduction on your body set to ON, i would say it is normal since there has to be a Pre-Flash for the TTL metering to operate properly. This pre-flash is usually more subtle like a single weak flash. Are you also sure you are not in WL ?

Try with the flash in Manual mode ( the flash, not the body) and see if it is still pre-flashing. If it is, find if your body has a Red-Eye reduction function (which it should as per the specs)

Edited by michelb