Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  I’m trying to find an affordable lens for my A7III that I can attach and walk around the neighborhood with. I live in a semi-rural area so I want something that will be good for landscape shots too.  Id prefer not to carry around a large lens on my walks. If anyone has any suggestions I’d be very appreciative. 
Thanks

My much preferred walk-around lens with my a7rIII is the Sony 24-105 f4 G. Consistent sharpness throughout the range, decent bokeh particularly towards the longer range, and plays well with with the a7rIII's autofocus and IBIS. A lot of plastic and the zoom action is a stiff but still an excellent value. 

I use it regularly both in urban and rural settings without problems.

Is it small enough? Is it affordable? Only you can answer that!

DR...

Sorry, but , your post , was   so general, that it is like  asking : How long is a piece of string ?

You have to at least give us an idea, of what your goals are ,  ie  fixed vs  zoom ?

A 20 mm pancake lens, is great for innocuous  street photography.

The 24 - 105  seems to be a lot of peoples .. Go To .. lens, due to the versatility.

I personally do not think, that it is  too big, nor too heavy.

I did  once rent the 70 - 200 f 2.8, yes , its good, but its big  & weighs a ton, so that is not something I would buy.

OK, something to look at...

Remember when checking , the lenses come in  APSC  &    Full Frame, before you jump in & buy !

Anyway these  2 below are  cheapish   Full Frame lenses  for you to think about

Sony FE 35 mm 1.8     and     Sony  FE  50 mm  1.8.

Otherwise go to Sony UK Lenses, and browse for your self, then read the reviews, and  buy whatever suts your pocket . 

I did notice, an E PZ   16 - 50 zoom, but that is ASPC, but might be just what you want, small & inconspicuous, ill let you do the math conversion from APSC to FF

Anyway, your turn. Good Luck.

Edited by Wally The Confused
Typo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bdrc
      Traveled to Khao Yai, Thailand recently and took some landscape shots. 
      Using the new SEL35F18F: 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Bloom by RICO Lee, on Flickr With the SEL85F18: 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Day by RICO Lee, on Flickr
    • By Mikehh
      Still working how to move my Nikon workflow over to Sony.
      A gripe I'm having is the SD backup in camera.
      I have an UHS2 card in slot 1. UHS1 in slot 2.
      They write and clear the buffer at the exact same rate.
      I did a little test and filled the buffer (about 55 compressed raw shots) and it took around 36 seconds to dump to both cards. And I could see on screen both cards dumped at the same rate.
      Taking slot 2 card out, leaving just the uhs2 card. 60 shots cleared in 24 seconds.
      So....I just wasted money on uhs 2 cards or am I missing something?
      I'd have thought the slot 2 dump would just happen in the back ground. Maybe grabbing from slot 1 so the buffer can just clear quickly.
    • By Sigmund
      Have just got my new Sony A7 III. I'm having trouble with too much echo/reverb when using external microphone. When recording in an environment where there should be no echo at all (e.g in a forest with snow) it sounds that it was recorded inside an empty room. I use a Røde VideoMic Pro when recording. I also tried other mic's with the same result. When recording with the same mic's on my smartphone, the sound is normal. Is this normal to A7 III? Anyone else with similar experience? 
      Example 1 https://youtu.be/Cj1RuHhTFbM (listen when closing car doors)
      Example 2 https://youtu.be/2UENFIC47xU
      Regards
      Sigmund M.
    • By Backyard Bob
      Sony a7RII, 70-200 F/4 @ 183mm and F/16,  1/100s, ISO 50, two shot focus stack
      #sonyalphagallery  

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By danhopen
      Hi!
      I tried astrophotography for the first time this weekend, and have a few questions.
      I've read many times that an F4 lens isn't fast enough for astrophotography, but it was my only option this weekend. I think the outcome was far better than I expected, although my "standard" for results probably isn't that high.
      Anyway - I tried 30 seconds F4 on approximately 16mm, on a tripod of course. I can see glimpses of the milky way, but not as clearly as the "typical" astro-photo you'd see from an experienced photographer.
      Question 1: Which camera settings (shutter speed, aperture, iso) is preferable in order to capture the milky way?
      Question 2: Is it not enough with only one photo or are you supposed to stack multiple photos?
      Question 3: What is the benefit of stacking photos - will the milky away appear more clearly, or is it to reduce noice?
      Feel free to advice me (and other beginners) on how to make the milky way appear more clearly. I'm sure the camera settings should have been different .
      I'll throw in a couple of sample images from this weekend. Both are edited in LR.

• So we have an "undeniable" shutter firing, as identified by you by its sound, yet no apparent picture was taken. Let's settle for now on the undisputed observation, that a sound was emitted. The internet is full of reports from SonyAlpha users about such sound phenomena after power down, and a wide range of explanations is being given. The most detailed and plausible explanation of which (in my view) was given by this guy. Of course you are free to believe any other explanation, which
    • No, the camera didn’t take a picture. But the sound was undeniably of shutter firing ! And it has happened quite a few times before too, after I switch the camera off. 
    • Maybe we should first confirm, that the shutter indeed fired, after you switched off your camera. What makes you believe, the shutter fired? Did the camera take an additional picture? Or did you possibly interpret a "sound" from the camera as a shutter firing? Please provide more detail.
    • Hi !  I was wondering why the shutter fires even after switching off my A7RIII. Kindly enlighten me on this  
    • Andrea again.   A6000 w/24 1.8   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.