A7III batteries going flat

Hello

A couple of months ago I bought an A7III & batteries & going flat without me using it. Initially I thought it might be a quality issue with the Watson free extra battery that came with it. But the Sony battery also does the same. Loses about 20% charge a day with camera switched off.  Any ideas?

thanks

That, is news to me.

I have an A9 and  Bossie Bessie  has the A 7 R III,  and we do not have a problem at all.

Ok our batteries are all  Sony originals, charged in the Sony original charger.

Bossy uses her  A 7 R III on a daily basis,  I,m more of a  weekly person, but the batteries are huge, compared to the  A 7 II,   where yes we were changing batteries daily.

Please get back to us, and explain in detail....  

How many days, are you talking about,    between charges , and your  usage,  since you say the battery goes   flat  ?

Edited by Wally The Confused

At present I'm not using it. Just turning it on once a day for a few seconds to check charge level & it's dropping about 15% a day !
Will let you know how I get on with B&H or Sony. I guess to establish whether it's the batts or the camera at fault, I need to see if they go flat when not in the camera.

Edited by pobinr

6 hours ago, pobinr said:

I'm reading on other forums people find Fotodiox Canon lens adapter flattens their battery. So I'm going to see if batt OK with lens removed. Then if not by actually removing adapter. 

That's interesting...an adapter draining the camera?  I would just remove the adapter first and see if your camera goes "flat".  Do you have a native lens to mount and test too?

With adapter still in place, the batt no longer goes flat when canon lens removed. It was my f2.8 70-20mm Canon lens with x 2 adapter.  
I'm going to see if it's only a problem with that lens & x2 & try other lenses I have. Don't have any native ones. 

Edited by pobinr

Ah, Ok, you have stacked up, a couple of things there !

I have no Idea.......

Take things off, one at a time, then see what happens.

I have not used any kind of interactive adapter.

The only adapter I know about, is the... non autofocus, non interactive ...adapter, that fits my old minolta lens to  , the  A 9.

It has no electrical connexions  at all,  therefore, no power loss.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Batteries are like muscles. When they are fully charged they are flexing. Working hard to hold the charge. Usually a drain is needed in order to prevent the battery from losing the ability to charge. This is why your phone and Labtop battery tends to lose charge eventually. Same with batteries.

It might say 100% but in reality the charge that was there might have been depleted.

Some camera systems have built in readers for various battery manufacturers. Like take those big batteries you see on cameras being used for film. However I am not sure about SONY ability to tell which battery apart and determine how much of a charge you have left. Usually you need and outside device for this task.

Also beware many products from the far-east ( I like to call Chinar-Ware ) tend to fib about the ability to hold charge. I am not saying all but most have not changed from the "Duracell Batteries" with the obvious characters that was super cost-effective.

Not in use batteries should be stored to around 20% or even 40%.

Edited by DanArt