What is the Best Sony Alpha Camera for Your Creative Workflow?

darsaal

The company has designed their products with advanced imaging technologies tailored to suit creative professionals and enthusiasts alike all over the world. Nevertheless, it can be difficult to decide which camera would work best for your specific creative needs.

That’s why Greg Farnum from LensProToGo highlights the pros and cons of the most popular Sony cameras (A6500, A7 III, A7S II, A7R III, A9), thus helping you decide which unit is right for you. The video below, however, is not a detailed spec-vs-spec type of comparison, but rather aims to give you a better understanding regarding the strengths and weaknesses of each camera from a filmmaker’s perspective.

The Sony A6500 is without a doubt one of the company’s most popular mirrorless cameras, particularly among those folks who are just starting out. With a modest price tag of just $1,198 (body only), you’re getting a compact camera with a 24-megapixel APS-C crop sensor.

While the images and video produced may not be as good as those found on let’s say full-frame cameras, the A6500 still delivers very sharp images and better-than-average low-light performance in the video department. For its price, the device is best-suited for novices looking for an entry-level mirrorless camera, or for experienced filmmakers who need a relatively cheap B-camera to compliment their more expensive gear.

Sony has proven itself a leader in mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with its full-frame A-series cameras, but when it comes to buying one, things can be a bit confusing. In the current lineup, the A9, A7 III, A7R III, and A7S II are all capable models, but each has unique advantages that may make it better or worse in any given situation.

Source: 4kshooters 

The numbers alone may lead one to think the A7S II is the entry-level model, but this is not the case. It is actually the A7 III, at $2,000, that holds down the low end of the range (although, “low end” is probably an inaccurate description here). The A7S II is a niche camera — and the only A7-series model to not receive a third-generation update yet — that targets professional photographers and filmmakers who work in low light, and its $2,700 price tag reflects this. The A7R III tops the range at $3,200, while the A9 is a different beast altogether, coming in at $4,500. (All prices listed are for the camera body without a lens, and no take take into account any current rebates.)

But just because one camera costs more than the other doesn’t necessarily make it better. But each also has its strengths and weaknesses, and which one will work best for you depends on what you plan to shoot, so let’s take a closer look at each.

Okay here is the things. It was said that 8MP was good enough ( in terms of shooting for a magazine ). If that was so then the A7S with it's video 30 minute + ( that you have to "hack" in the A7R2 ) would suit my needs or better yet a Nikon D5. I choose the A7R2 ( and I am still happy with my choice ). because it allows me to have a decent camera for the next couple of years while practicing and doing commercial work with it.

I do not want any consumer crap. That is why I dodged the APS-C camera I see in the local mall. In fact I make it my mission to dodge malls, and anything a sponsor products dished out. I have been reading and watching many "How to videos" and after awhile I can see through all the bs. Especially when most are targeting grumpy old men retirement funds. I am not an old man I am a student who practices the fine-arts and just sorta fell into photography due to my studies and location.

Example I show my cousin my work I have been pushing myself to do. He goes out and buys himself an A6500. I show him that his kit lens will not fully display due it being APS-C. The guy he never studied art in any form at all and only brought the camera because he start seeing what I am doing. However he was upset after that discovery. He thought he had the same camera for a lower price. The same thing happen with this fellow photographer. He has the SONY RX and wants to pit against my A7Rii. I mean that is nice and all but again it is a portable APS-C camera. Believing it is the same camera.

The way I see things is just go for the flagship cameras and save and experiment. The biggest problem with this business is fear of people. Especially when you get intimidated by people who are "Trust-fund babies" and do not want actually tell how they are really doing the work and how much they are out putting.

Right now I want to switch to the A-mount as the E-mount is not the flag-ship camera series. Also I am using the 70-400 A-mount and would like to see the different results. This means the A9III or A9IV. Another thing I have to deal with is TTL save ( The ability to preserve a TTL read-out ) along with avoiding blue-light displays all together. However the SLT technology is way better then the SLR tech. However the mirror-less means less moving parts and longer use time. Not new and the A-mount series A99 is way more faster in FPS. That with TTL match up is what I need in my gear. N

My A7rii does not have USB 3.0 among other tid-bits the A7riii but it is virtually the same camera in my opinion and pits against the Canon and Nikon series. In this article calls SONY "second rate company". When we all know since the A7rii jump in MP both camera companies have been scurrying around back and forth making release after release attempting to block out the A7 series. I feel SONY should release a smaller version of the A7RIV and have more powerful batteries with better cooling control rather then bigger batteries.

However I am more concerned about the Star Eater problem.

Edited by DanArt