Is there exposure compensation in the Sony Alpha 7IV

eliotclrk

I am using the method of taking photos for a classs Im in with my Sony. I follow her method, and she said they are still too over exposed. (I used an expodisc, I am going to make another post on that. Anyways she said to find out if there is exposure Compensation on the camera. I'm sure there is however I am not sure what it is. Does anyone know where this is at or why maybe this could get hung up on manual mode? 

As with normal exposure, exposure compensation only works by (automatically) adjusting any of the three exposure parameters: aperture, shutter speed and ISO. In manual mode, aperture and shutter speed are locked by default. If you also manually set ISO, the exposure is entirely chosen manually and exposure compensation no longer works: the camera no longer has a parameter to use for automatic exposure compensation. Exposure compensation can't magically add or remove light, it has to follow the rules of the exposure triangle.

On the A7IV Sony chose to make the dial which used to be the exposure  compensation dial (rightmost rear dial on the top of the camera) into a general purpose reassignable dial - they took the markings off it.

I think it still works as exposure compensation, by default. But you can reassign it (so many buttons and dials on a Sony can be reassigned!).

If you are using auto exposure in any way (using Aperture priority, so the camera sets shutter speed and possibly ISO, for example), then the exposure compensation dial lets you say “adjust the parameters you set by this amount”. For example, if you are running with a fixed ISO and aperture, the camera might determine that it needs a shutter speed of 1 /100. If you set the exposure compensation to +1, it will add one stop, and use a shutter speed of 1/50. If you set Ec to -1, it will choose a shutter speed of 1/200.

Maybe you inadvertently changed the Ec to +1? It should show up in the metadata for your images. Post one, and we could see.