a6500 internal IS with legacy lenses?

a6k

The publicity suggests it will work well. Any information about how it works with, for example, the A7R ii would be helpful. Or, in addition, any data (not speculation please) as to how it will work for the a6500 would also be helpful.

I have a legacy Nikkor 300 mm fixed lens plus a Nikon 1.4x tele extender using a F - mount to e-mount adapter. It gives OK pictures with a 35mm equivalent length of 630 mm. But it's not all that practical because it's an effective F 6.3 so I have to trade high shutter speed vs high ISO. Either way, image quality has to suffer. My camera is the a6000. The pricey upgrade would be attractive if the IS actually worked. I need that more than I need autofocus. 

Also, in the high dollar category, would be the excellent Canon 100-400 zoom, 2nd generation for which I think there is a Metabones adapter to my e-mount camera body. That has its own autofocus but would need the camera to handle the IS.

I'd be grateful for any actual information.

Non-communicating zooms can be tedious when adapted cuz

you hafta set the in-use FL manually. You can't just set the long

limit. You hafta set the accurate, in-use FL. Still, it's easier than

swapping primes ... which also requires setting the FL manually.

As to effectiveness, it does work as well as with native lenses,

which is very good, pretty much "as advertised" based on my

a7-II and a zillion old Nikkors.

Here is a handheld 500mm shot at about 1/3 life-size-on-sensor. 

I don't recall the exact shutter speed but I shot it while testing the

extreme limits of IBIS, so it was a silly slow shutter speed.

Have a look: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

`

And it will work well with Techart Pro adapter that you can do AF with your Nikon lens. What you need is just Nikon F to Leica M adapter so that you can fit the lens on the Techart Pro adapter, and you need a tripod or monopod to support the lens from below. Even though Techart Pro officially said that their adapter can work with lens less than 700 g but I found that even heavier lens is fine as long as you can hold the lens and the body will move instead of the lens. I tried and successfully tracked actions using my FD 300mm f/2.8 L lens on my A7ii, with AF and IS, and it's an amazing experience.

I don't think that a 300mm lens plus other adapters will work with the TechArt adapter; too heavy causing Sticktion. I have had Sticktion issues when using a sumicron 90mmf2 lens because of weight and the 300mm lens is even heavier, the manufacturer warns about issues with heavy lenses. I extended the barrel on the TechArt adapter and cleaned it (carefully) with brakeclean(a solvent) and recoated it with a proprietary dry lubricant designed for MTB and motorcycle forks to decrease Sticktion, that helped quite a bit. I would save the money and not buy the Metabones adapter and instead buy the Sigma MC-11 canon adapter If you want to use the Canon 100X400mm2 lens it works at least as well if not better than the Metabones with all the canon lenses I have tested it with(see the pics that I have put up in the adapter section) especially the newer V2 versions. I used the canon 100X400mm V.2 sigma MC-11 on an A7r2 to cover the tour of Flanders femin(a bicycle race) out of the roof of a neutral service car this spring.

...... I would save the money and not buy the Metabones adapter and instead buy the Sigma MC-11 canon adapter If you want to use the Canon 100X400mm2 lens it works at least as well if not better than the Metabones with all the canon lenses I have tested it with(see the pics that I have put up in the adapter section) especially the newer V2 versions. I used the canon 100X400mm V.2 sigma MC-11 on an A7r2 to cover the tour of Flanders femin(a bicycle race) out of the roof of a neutral service car this spring.

That's very appealing, but this was on the B&H page for that adapter:

"Per Sigma, this Mount Converter/Lens Adapter is only compatible with a select number of Sigma's own EF-mount lenses, and is not suitable for use with other manufacturers' EF-mount lenses."

Are we talking about the same device? Sigma MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter (Sigma EF-Mount Lenses to Sony E)

Some reviews say it does work well.

Thanks for the very helpful replies - all.

........ Even though Techart Pro officially said that their adapter can

work with lens less than 700 g but I found that even heavier lens is

fine as long as you can hold the lens and the body will move instead

of the lens. ......... 

It would seem that this is quite safe when using only the

rear LCD monitor for viewing, as the camera plus the 

adapter section that is secured to the camera body isn't 

that far from the 700g recommended limit. My concern is 

that if you use the EVF, the weight of the camera plus the 

stationary part of the adapter combines with the pressure 

of your face on the back of the camera, resulting in more 

load than the device is intended to drive during AF activity.