NIK-NEX ADAPTORS AND PRE-AI LENSES

Thwyllo

I've just realised my previous thread about connecting multiple adaptors should have been in this section so I apologise for that!

But I do have a question about Nikon to NEX adaptors, and specifically whether anyone knows if they can cope with pre-AI lenses? I have a number of very decent old Nikon lenses that I would love to put on front of my a7ii, including the 20 mm UD 3.5 and a pre-AI version of the Afghan Girl lens...I've used them on a D5300 but if course there's the crop issue, and my D750 won't take them.

I'd happily convert them as I'm no purist, but in France where I live there is nobody doing AI conversions and although I would usually have a go myself, I'm not overly confident of the dimensions of the slot I need to file which varies in size from one lens to another.

So if anybody has successfully used a NIK-NEX adaptor with pre-AI glass I would love to hear about it?

The only Nikon lens I have is PC Nikkor 35mm f2.8 shift lens and I am using a Fotga Nik-Nex (G) adapter (has a rudimentary aperture ring) with it and there is no problem at all.  I don't know what else to tell you, just like any other dumb adapters I have used, I can shoot in P-Mode at infinity focus.  There are some M42 > PK adapter that won't focus to infinity but they are easily identified by having a large flange - acts like a very thin extension tube.

... And unlike other adaptors I looked at that one - at least the version I've just seen on Amazon without an aperture ring - does specifically mention non-Ai.

Many thanks for your feedback, I'm off to find my wallet 😂