Nikon lenses on Sony A1

I shoot nikon. Go to lenses are 200-500 and 28-300 on a Nikon D500. My back up D500 died and I have the opportunity to purchase a used Sony A1. Has anyone used Nikon lenses on the A1 and is it a successful match? TIA!!

You'll need an adapter.  These are not cheap and no matter which you choose, you will lose some functionality -- such as auto-focus, automatic aperture, etc.  You need to check each adapter.  If you don't mind operating a manual mode, it's do-able, but if you want auto-everything, FUGETABOUTIT

2 hours ago, XKAES said:

If you don't mind operating a manual mode, it's do-able

Someone regularly operating in manual mode likely isn't in the market for an A1... But then again, apparently I wrongfully thought noone using a 28-300 lens was.

As far as I know all Nikon to Sony adapters are compromised in one way or the other. But the value of the A1 far exceeds the valie of those lenses combined, so if you can get a good deal on the A1 (and assuming it's features aren't overkill for your needs), best sell the lenses and buy some new (or used) E-mount ones.

Edited by Pieter

If someone gave me an A1, and all I had were a bunch of Nikon (or whatever) lenses, I'd be tempted to try it. 

I'm constantly surprised at the market for all these adapters to put old lenses (Petri's, Exakta's, Miranda's, Zenit's, Mamiya's, Praktica's........) on auto-everything digital cameras.

I do it too, to some extent, with long T-mount lenses, and macro bellows lenses where auto-features are as much of a hindrance as a help.

Quick answer... it depends.

As far as price is considered, you have to evaluate the price of the A1 plus adapter versus the price of a replacement Nikon body. 

Then, you have to evaluate what you lose in term of performance (as others said, adapters are a compromise solution) and prepare to live with the loss. Last but not least, think about future, the adapter solution could be the way to go if you plan to phase out of Nikon and move to Sony somewhen in the future. If so, you could accept some compromise short term.

I'll add that if you consider a Nikon digital camera instead of the A1, there are compatibility problems there as well -- with the older Nikon lenses.  It, of course, depends on what lenses you have and what digital body you consider buying.  The older your lenses and the newer the camera, the more problems you will encounter.