Best settings for using vintage manual lenses

Hi all, my name is Willem and I just joined the forum after having picked up an old Sony A100 in a thrift store. I want to use it with vintage manual lenses and have bought an adapter to that purpose. Works fine with a Pancolar. I am just wondering how to best set the camera. It works fine on auto, but I am also wondering whether there is some kind of focus notification like I have in my Pentax K-X.

In order for the focus-confirmation LED to work, the camera has to be able to electronically "talk" to the lens which it can't do with older lenses.  If you are having trouble focusing, try using a viewfinder magnifier -- these are inexpensive -- and always stop-down a bit, which is a good idea anyway.

@XKAES, thank you! I know there's no electrical connection, but both my Pentax and Panasonic still manage to indicate focus. I just wondered whether there is something similar in the A100. So, probably not. No big deal, the viewfinder is quite bright. Thank you for the stop down advise!

For older lenses, Aperture=preferred, auto-exposure mode works fine -- the lens must be stopped down to the taking f-stop, of course -- and manual exposure mode works too.  No Shutter-preferred or Programmed exposure modes.  The AUTO setting on the mode dial is the same as PROGRAMMED, so that does not work either.

Edited by XKAES