Sony 90 maco tips any one?

adwb

I have recently bought a 90 macro but seem to have a huge problem getting it to auto focus fast enough to keep up with moving flowers or insects,

I end up manually focusing and using very high iso to get high shutter speeds to freeze things, which is not what I though would happen, I could do just as well with my old Pentax macro lens than with this lens.

There is nothing wrong with the lens its just me any hints or tips any one please?

Yes, it's very difficult to focus on fast moving insects, especially if there is some wind moving the flowers and so the insects; in my eyes, autofocus in this situation is too slow;  so I only use manual focus macro lenses for this purpose and I use an appropriate fixed focus distance and then move the camera and myself back and forth to get the insect sharp while shooting continously; although this seems to be the best solution for me, I need 100 pictures to get one with a sharp insect's eye

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hopefully with modern coatings in the Sony 90 you get better quality pictures then with your old pentax lens. Untill recently I used a sigma 105 f2.8 on my A7ii (manually)  but since I bought the sony 70-300 e-mount I has become obsolete. The Sony 70-300 can focus from as close as 90cm on 300mm, on autofocus!  What I do miss is the light sensitivety of a real macro lens.  I think on very close focus you need to do it manually as we are talking fractions of a mm, certainly at large diafragm openings.

An example from the 70-300 taken at approx 1m from the subject. (f/8, with remote flash.)

https://flic.kr/p/M1zPAY

With this lens you just need to pull the focusing ring ring towards you when some situation like you describe occurs.

And voila, you are in manual focus and can work the way you were used to.

It happens a lot in macro. I have A-Mount 30mm F2.8 (APS-C) and full frame 50mm F2.8, 100mm F2.8, 150mm F2.8 and 200mm F4 Macros plus the FE90G and they are all subject to hunting with some lower contrast, moving subjects.

I love the 90mm macro but it requires practice, technique, and luck to get the best results so I am still learning.  (the lens is only 2 months in my possession.)

I was lounging on the patio when this fellow hopped onto an adjacent pillow.  F2.8 to get best background but leaves DOF very thin.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love the 90mm macro but it requires practice, technique, and luck to get the best results so I am still learning.  (the lens is only 2 months in my possession.)

I was lounging on the patio when this fellow hopped onto an adjacent pillow.  F2.8 to get best background but leaves DOF very thin.

A photographer who lounges, camera at-the-ready, is a real photographer! :)