SONY A7iii light leaks

Mull80s

I have had the camera for 3 years. In that time this issue has gotten worse. See attached photos. Basically it doesn't matter where the sun is in the sky I will always get these light streaks. It also doesn't matter if the lenses are wide open or stopped down. The issue happens with all my lenses. I have also taped around the lens where it meets the body to see if that stopped the leak and it doesn't. This is also starting to happen (although very faint so far) on my A7Riii.

I have checked the plate where the lens meets the body and the screws are all tight. I do carry a 70-200 F2.8 on the body from time to time but I harness the lens and not the camera body so there is no pressure on the body where the lens meets it.

The light streaks are always in the same position on every image.

First image is at F7.1 and shot on my Tamron 28-75

The image of the singer is at F2.8 and shot on my Sony 70-200

Any ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The streaks do not show up in the viewfinder or LCD in live mode. Only once the shot has been taken can they be seen.

I tried the backdrop with a bright light and i dont see anything either live or after the shot. Someone else suggested that the shutter might be failing and to try it in electronic shutter mode. I'm going to try that in daylight tomorrow. There are only 82,000 clicks on the body. Should be good for 200,000 at least.

Thanks for the response

Edited by Mull80s

Let's check if the issue really is the light leak, take a shot with your lens of choice with the lens cap in place and then take a shot without the lens but with the body cap on the camera.  If Alpha series bodies had an OVF instead of an EVF, I would ask to close the viewfinder shutter before activating the camera shutter release.

Ok, I did this. With just the body cap I am getting no streak. No light seems to be getting in through the body cap. I used a 17-28 Tamron and with the lens cap on i get no streak. With the lens cap off I get the streak. I also turned the viewfinder off in the settings so its the LCD screen only and still got the same results in each test. 

I then repeated the whole test with the 28-75 and got the exact same results.

I then repeated the whole test again with a 55mm fixed lens and got the exact same results.

I also have an A7Riii body and I am not having the issue on that body with the same lenses

Finally. These streaks are only noticeable in bright daylight photos. I primarily shoot indoor low lit concert photography and have never seen the issue on any of them photos. 

Edited by Mull80s

I'll continue to pick my brain, but I have no idea.  Perhaps others will have some other TEST ideas.

I think you have ruled out a typical light leak from the camera mount, but the fact that it always shows up in the same place on the image suggests something with the camera is the problem.

Does the streak show up in the same place in the photo when you take a vertical shot???

What shutter speeds were the 2 pictures taken at ?

Silent Shutter ON ?

EFCS ON ?

Looking at the picture of the singer it appears the white curve does not affect the microphone cable or support below which would be the case if this was indeed a light leak

9 hours ago, Mull80s said:

Ok, I did this. With just the body cap I am getting no streak. No light seems to be getting in through the body cap. I used a 17-28 Tamron and with the lens cap on i get no streak. With the lens cap off I get the streak. I also turned the viewfinder off in the settings so its the LCD screen only and still got the same results in each test. 

I then repeated the whole test with the 28-75 and got the exact same results.

I then repeated the whole test again with a 55mm fixed lens and got the exact same results.

I also have an A7Riii body and I am not having the issue on that body with the same lenses

Finally. These streaks are only noticeable in bright daylight photos. I primarily shoot indoor low lit concert photography and have never seen the issue on any of them photos. 

Can you try the same tests (caps on) with harsh light shining on the lens?  Just trying to rule out any problems with the lens mount but that seem unlikely given your tests so far reveal no streak.

Given that the problem only occurs under bright daylight, I am inclined to believe some part of the lens is being reflected off the senor back to the rear element of the lens and then being captured by the sensor.  The sensor is like a mirror and the native FE lenses have a very short register distance of 20mm, I think the possibility of such reflection bouncing around and being captured is higher than a camera whose register distance is much longer.  If you have any vintage lenses you might try replicating the streak with them as well.

Sorry, if this seem like a shot in the dark but three native FE lens leaking light seem impossible to me.

I'm having the exact same problem.  At first I thought it was the lens, but tested three others and Yahtzee!, same problem.  However, when I shoot vertical (portrait) the curved stripe does not appear.  The problem is only noticeable when a bright sky (overcast or sunny) is part of the shot.  My work around has been to over expose to compensate, but that's not going to cut it.

Particulars:

Lens: Sony 24-105, SS: 1/2000, ƒ/4, iso 640

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!