Is anyone using the Minolta AF via LAEA4?

I bought a 50 f/1.7 from Mifsuds - originally was getting the f/1.4 but they found that one to be faulty so sent the 1.7 instead (with my consent).  What I am finding is that no matter which aperture I choose, it sticks on 1.7.  It will meter correctly, so the preview effect is correct, but when it actually shoots, it has released the aperture back to wide open.  My intention with this lens was to use it in low light, but its strengths don't lie in wide open, so I want to shoot at between f/2.8 and f/4...

Seems to be some issues with compatibility, but it should work...

The iris is moving because it previews correctly

when I half press the shutter, it's just not holding

it for the shot.  Misfuds suggested I clean the

contacts of the lens and the adaptor, but that was

the very first thing I did.

The contacts have nothing to do with it, it's a

mechanical coupling. So much for quality advice

from your vendor.

If you haven't tested your adapter with a known

to be good lens, you are nowhere yet.

As for the OK stop-down during preview, but not

OK during exposure, this can be the slow action

from lube on the iris blades. Usually you can see

it just by looking at the closed blades. The iris is

very likely stopping down at exposure just like it

stops down for a preview. But exposure requires

a super fast, essentially instant, stop down ... or

the exposure will be completed before the iris

arrives at a smaller aperture. This will not be

obvious at preview unless the iris is reeeeally

sloooow, and that seldom happens cuz before it

gets THAT slow it just gums up and stays closed

all the time [not open, closed].

Try some exposures of a full second, 3, and 6

seconds. A slightly slow iris will not close in

time for fast shutter times, but the effect of a

SLIGHTLY slow iris is minimized by extending

the exposure time. It's a worthwhile diagnostic

procedure, and you no longer hafta process the

film to check the result :-)

If you don't confirm a prognosis of Slow Iris,

then it may well be your adapter, but clearly a

known to be good lens must be tested on it to

really confirm if it's the adapter.

`

Have done the test.  I've been using a Tamron with the adaptor for about a week with no issues.  basically the iris isn't closing at all until it is removed from the adaptor where it remains at the aperture that I set.  It's a pity as although it's not the sharpest lens around, it's a nice small size to grab on the end of a camera.  

Hi, sorry to hear about your lens issues.  I've been using a LA-EA4 with my Sony A7r for the past year and now with the A7rII and it works great for the lenses I use it with.  I have a Minolta 70-210 Beercan, (that's keeping me from ordering the Sony 70-200 G) and I recently picked up a Minolta 100-300 which works okay.  I also use a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro (1:1) that has gives incredible results.  Since mine are all screw drive, they aren't the fastest lenses but still do a good job.

I assign Aperture Preview to a Custom Button and that way I can press it to see what the aperture is doing since it stays wide open till I click the shutter.  You can stop down the lens all the way and press your assigned aperture preview button to see what the aperture blades look like and if they are closing properly.

Good luck with your new lenses.  I've been eyeing that Minolta 85 f/1.4 it looks nice.

Singingsnaper, Does your LAEA4 work correctly with other Minolta AF lenses? 

There is also a Firmware update for the LAEA4 you may want to check into that. Adapter firmware updates lens compatibility.

Just checked into that on the sony support site and no software available there and no mention of a firmware update

• 5 months later...

Good news,

After a discussion in a photo store, the guy advised me to deal with tamron technical support in France
I tested ther a Tamron 70-200/2.8 that works perfectly

I have left them my Tamron and will know by the end of week if they can do something (update software or change some component)

I will let you know

Hi, sorry to hear about your lens issues.  I've been using a LA-EA4 with my Sony A7r for the past year and now with the A7rII and it works great for the lenses I use it with.  I have a Minolta 70-210 Beercan, (that's keeping me from ordering the Sony 70-200 G) and I recently picked up a Minolta 100-300 which works okay.  I also use a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro (1:1) that has gives incredible results.  Since mine are all screw drive, they aren't the fastest lenses but still do a good job.

I assign Aperture Preview to a Custom Button and that way I can press it to see what the aperture is doing since it stays wide open till I click the shutter.  You can stop down the lens all the way and press your assigned aperture preview button to see what the aperture blades look like and if they are closing properly.

Good luck with your new lenses.  I've been eyeing that Minolta 85 f/1.4 it looks nice.

Good to know because I'm about to order a Minolta 70-210 and a LA-EA4 for my A7ii. 

I also have  the same problem with my  85 1.4 AF Minolta lens  and my A7RII with LA4 . But i dint have any problem with my  50.1,4 AF  MINOLTA  it works great.

Any suggestions for solution? only lubricate the blades ? it is shame to shell it for this.

thanks in advance