Unable to open thumbnails on iMac with a1

Trying to upload photos taken with a1 using a card reader onto my iMac desktop, the icons display with only the # of the photos and the .ARW extension. The thumbnails photos do not appear and I get a message when I try to open a photo in Preview that the extension ARW is not compatible with this program.

I have talked to Apple and I was told that Sony is aware of the problem and is working on it.

I have an a9 and the problem does not occur with this camera - the card reader will read the cards and I get a thumbnail photo when I look at the photos on my computer screen. Also .ARW extension 

The a1 is a new camera so I would suspect some incompatibility with Sony's newest ARW file format -- as Apple seems to suggest.

If no one else here has other suggestions or solutions, you have at least two options:

You can find a Windows computer and see if the Windows version works OK.  Then you know it an incompatibility issue.  This has happened before.

The other option is to save your files in FINE JPEG.  I know that probably not what you want, but at least that will work until a FIX is offered. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...