Memory card door will not open

Best option is to download a full copy of the manual (if you do not have one already) and look how the memory card door opens, is it sufficient to pull, does it needs to be pushed on one side, is there some kind of switch... (sorry, but I do not know this specific camera). Then if it is really locked, you can try with some tricks like using a thin film of plastic to disengage, but at first you need to have clear how it opens before you try to force it opened without breaking it.

Sony have changed the way the memory card door opens at least twice. From memory (pun not intended), one of the oldest designs had you push a lever and the door popped open. Then there was open where you dragged the door back and it opened. On the A1 and A7RV (the generation to which the A7IV belongs) there's a clearly marked (with the word OPEN) spring loaded switch that you push down and hold, then slide the door back.

If you were coming from the previous generation the sliding part was obvious, but if this is your first Sony, it's easy to see that it would not be obvious. You might push the switch down, and nothing happens except that it pops back up again. The arrow next to OPEN does show that you go down and then back, but that's not very clear.

It's actually easy to use once you understand it, and it protects against accidental opening (I have seen complaints about the two prior designs opening unintentionally).

@FunWithCameras
Thank you. I have egg on my face, now! 😂

I have two previous generations of Sony Alpha cameras, as well as two of the RX100 cameras. You are right about the arrow next to the OPEN button not being clear. I wasn't even sure of what you were instructing me to do by "go down and then back" because I pushed the switch down and it automatically snaps back up. I turned off my "autopilot," and considered again what you had written and, (of course you already know), that worked!

I feel like an idiot but at least I don't have to send the camera back now!

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain!

15 hours ago, hurschmann81401 said:

@FunWithCameras
Thank you. I have egg on my face, now! 😂

I have two previous generations of Sony Alpha cameras, as well as two of the RX100 cameras. You are right about the arrow next to the OPEN button not being clear. I wasn't even sure of what you were instructing me to do by "go down and then back" because I pushed the switch down and it automatically snaps back up. I turned off my "autopilot," and considered again what you had written and, (of course you already know), that worked!

I feel like an idiot but at least I don't have to send the camera back now!

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain!

Nah, it's not obvious, and I can see how "push down, let go, nothing happened" would be confusing.

Glad that helped!