Which Sony E/A adapter for 70-200 G SSM 2.8 lens?

Robin W

Hi,

I have an e-mount Alpha A7iii camera body and have just bought a used A mount 70mm-200mm G SSM 2.8 FE lens.  Which is the correct or best Sony adapter to buy, is iy the LA-EA4 or LA-EA3.  I am using the camera for sports/action photography so good continuous focus is important.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you Pieter, I think that answers my quesion, LA-EA3 seems to be the one.

I was also thinking of buying a 2x Teleconverter to make the lens 140mm-400mm lens at f/5.6.  In your opinion would the combo of Alpha A7 III > SEL20TC FE 2.0 Teleconverter > LA-EA3 E to A adapter > A mount 70mm-200mm G SSM 2.8 FE lens work?

Any advice appreciated, would this even all work together and if so are there any compromises you can think of in this set up?

No that won't work, the E-mount teleconverters only fit a select couple of lenses. Maybe if you fit an A-mount teleconverter between the adapter and the lens, but be sure to check if the 70-200 is compatible with teleconverters.

Regarding the best adapter: be sure to try before you buy. Based on the specs, the LA-EA3 has more advanced AF-capabilities but apparently it's quite slow. The LA-EA4 on the other hand focusses fast but only in a limited area.

Out of curiosity, why did you buy an A-mount lens for your A7iii? For the price of the lens plus adapter you can likely get the new Tamron 70-180 F/2.8. Also, the 2× teleconverter is half the price of the new E-mount Sigma 100-400.

Edited by Pieter