I have so many questions it's not funny.

I bought the Sony A7iii about a year ago but haven't actually used it that much since I was still using my Canon.

Now I want to get serious and learn how to effectively use it, and I just bought 2 lenses for quite a bit of money - The Tamron 28-75 and the Sony 20mm f/1.8.

I'm frustrated with little things, like if I'm in manual mode, why can't I see the imagine in the viewfinder reflect how the actual image will look when I take the picture? I noticed that I can increase the shutter speed and the image gets lighter, but when I decrease the shutter speed it will only darken down to a point and not go completely black. Why is that, and how do I fix it?

Also, I see the needle showing the correct exposure on the bottom of the screen and it goes down to  -2 stops and then it just disappears even though the numbers continue on for another 3 stops. I don't understand stuff like that because I'm used my my Canon, which doesn't do that.

I will also need help in using my Godox 860 speed light effectively. I noticed on the flash settings some of the functions are greyed out and I don't know why.

The most frustrating thing is not knowing so if anyone knows how to fix such things and would be willing to communicate with me on a more or less regular basis I would really appreciate that! I know this is an amazing camera but only if you know how to use it.

Wolf

On 5/24/2020 at 2:40 AM, wm17959 said:

I bought the Sony A7iii about a year ago but haven't actually used it that much since I was still using my Canon.

Now I want to get serious and learn how to effectively use it, and I just bought 2 lenses for quite a bit of money - The Tamron 28-75 and the Sony 20mm f/1.8.

Well reputed lenses. Nice purchases!

I'm frustrated with little things, like if I'm in manual mode, why can't I see the imagine in the viewfinder reflect how the actual image will look when I take the picture? I noticed that I can increase the shutter speed and the image gets lighter, but when I decrease the shutter speed it will only darken down to a point and not go completely black. Why is that, and how do I fix it?

Are you in a picture mode/creative style or have DRO/HDR on? I vaguely recall that those can affect the viewfinder image. For what it's worth, I have those aspects off and mine will continue to become more 'black' as shutter speed is increased. I'm sure you mean decrease the shutter speed - increasing in this instance means 'making faster', so would let less light in.

Also, I see the needle showing the correct exposure on the bottom of the screen and it goes down to  -2 stops and then it just disappears even though the numbers continue on for another 3 stops. I don't understand stuff like that because I'm used my my Canon, which doesn't do that.

I've not noticed this but I've little need for going down past -2EV. I'll have a look later and report back

I will also need help in using my Godox 860 speed light effectively. I noticed on the flash settings some of the functions are greyed out and I don't know why.

I'm afraid I can't help here, though I'm sure others online might be able to shed light. The below looks like a thorough article with some 'common problems' points towards the bottom.

https://theoverratedphotographer.com/2019/02/14/using-godox-with-the-sony-a7iii-a7riii/

The most frustrating thing is not knowing so if anyone knows how to fix such things and would be willing to communicate with me on a more or less regular basis I would really appreciate that! I know this is an amazing camera but only if you know how to use it.

Wolf

Yes, I agree that not knowing is what is frustrating but I've found basic internet searches to be helpful. It's worth bearing in mind that any camera can be amazing "but only if you know how to use it" to coin your phrase. 

I have always found that updating to the latest firmware can certainly iron out issues - I've always made sure that my cameras (previously Pentax K-S2, Pentax K-70, Pentax K-1), including my A7iii, have been kept up-to-date and have suffered with very little issues if any.

Takes me back fifty years to student days. We got into this habit: one of us would start on some topic we knew little about, we'd flounder around for a few minutes, and end up chorusing, "Buy a book on it!" And hey, very often we did.

Those days, there was no internet, no google and no youtube. That was great for the book trade! Have to say, though, that with a new, complex camera, my first instinct is still to get the book. An actual, printed book.

I consider it a shame that they don't come with printed manuals any longer. Well, the manual is online, and it certainly should be one of our resources, but it is a dry thing indeed: a set of short technical descriptions with very little about how or why we might want to use (or not use) a setting or function. The books come with added personal experience and advice. Well worth having.

Second to that (well, equal, in a way, just a different way) is the wonders of youtube. There will be reviews and tutorials for your camera. Watch several: get different viewpoints on the same stuff. Even watch elementary, beginners stuff about your new camera!

Third, for personal contact and specific questions, online forums are hard to beat. But no-one can take you through the whole thing, like a book can, or go deeply into one aspect like a youtube video can.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, Thad E Ginathom said:

Takes me back fifty years to student days. We got into this habit: one of us would start on some topic we knew little about, we'd flounder around for a few minutes, and end up chorusing, "Buy a book on it!" And hey, very often we did.

Those days, there was no internet, no google and no youtube. That was great for the book trade! Have to say, though, that with a new, complex camera, my first instinct is still to get the book. An actual, printed book.

I consider it a shame that they don't come with printed manuals any longer. Well, the manual is online, and it certainly should be one of our resources, but it is a dry thing indeed: a set of short technical descriptions with very little about how or why we might want to use (or not use) a setting or function. The books come with added personal experience and advice. Well worth having.

Second to that (well, equal, in a way, just a different way) is the wonders of youtube. There will be reviews and tutorials for your camera. Watch several: get different viewpoints on the same stuff. Even watch elementary, beginners stuff about your new camera!

Third, for personal contact and specific questions, online forums are hard to beat. But no-one can take you through the whole thing, like a book can, or go deeply into one aspect like a youtube video can.

I am a hobbyist photographer and have been generally pleased with David Busch's (Insert Camera Model in title) Guide to Digital Photography series on each camera he tests for his manuals.  They are easy to find information in especially after you learn his systematic approach with each camera model.  I have the A77 manual on my Kindle (cost a small fortune for a digital file) and it just isn't the same thing from a convenience point of view.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:29 PM, Rimfire said:

I am a hobbyist photographer and have been generally pleased with David Busch

Yep. That's my book too.

I also have a digital copy of Gary L Friedman's a6500 book. The phone is ok for quick reference, but the PDF on a PC screen is more of a real-book experience.