Exposure issue.

hello everyone.

I don't know if it was like this before or I just didn't realized it.

I was having issues with photos looking different on my LCD screen than on my computer. (RAW). I decided to look into it today and just realized that the picture profile I set for my video capture also applies to my photos. is this a bug or is it supposed to be like that? as far as I knew photos have a different picture profile option and I don't see why the both will relate.

anyways, just checking to see if this is normal, to me it shouldn't be and it is a hassle to be switching back and forth for not reason and sometimes forgetting. 

is this a bug? is there a place to contact Sony about this?

thanks

thanks

Is it an exposure issue or an embedded profile issue? Do you have any examples of how it might look on the rear LCD versus your computer screen? Also, how different is the brightness of your computer screen versus the rear LCD? 

When I was first starting off with post-process editing, I found that my photos were looking dark on my phone. The brightness of my computer screen was too high so I was inadvertently underexposing in post, so that is a potential to cause issues for you.

Otherwise, do you edit photos in post much? If you're shooting in RAW the embedded preview is just that - you still have the freedom to edit, including altering exposures. That still doesn't explain the photos having the same profile as videos, but as a newbie here I'm afraid I can't advise on that aspect.

9 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

Is it an exposure issue or an embedded profile issue? Do you have any examples of how it might look on the rear LCD versus your computer screen? Also, how different is the brightness of your computer screen versus the rear LCD? 

When I was first starting off with post-process editing, I found that my photos were looking dark on my phone. The brightness of my computer screen was too high so I was inadvertently underexposing in post, so that is a potential to cause issues for you.

Otherwise, do you edit photos in post much? If you're shooting in RAW the embedded preview is just that - you still have the freedom to edit, including altering exposures. That still doesn't explain the photos having the same profile as videos, but as a newbie here I'm afraid I can't advise on that aspect.

The issue is just the video profile is active when I take photos. If I disable video picture profile to OFF, the it looks fine, and captures fine. 

does it make sense?

there is a Picture profile for photos and a picture profile for Video they should not be interferences with each other in my opinion. but I hope some other people comment here if they experience this.

Benz3ne, can you do a test and set your Sony to video PP7 and then switch to photo and take a a photo..do the same but with video PP to off. now, see your screen and also download them and take a look. 

let me know if you get to it.

Thanks

Ran a test for you explaining how this works on A7Sii.

Picture Profiles (PP8 in this case) are ignored when in SILENT SHOOTING. Turn it off and you get some seriously disappointing images until you work on them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 hours ago, VTC said:

Ran a test for you explaining how this works on A7Sii.

Picture Profiles (PP8 in this case) are ignored when in SILENT SHOOTING. Turn it off and you get some seriously disappointing images until you work on them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

hello VTC.

thanks for doing this test. you are right, on silent shoot video Picture Profiles are ignore, ( but not if silent shoot is OFF)

did you know that this was how it worked? don't you find that strange? is it a bug? 

do you know where we can send Sony this info?

I just realized how this works so, now I am aware, but I don think the video profile should transfer when in Photo Mode.

Hope it helps others.

Thanks

13 hours ago, manyo said:

Benz3ne, can you do a test and set your Sony to video PP7 and then switch to photo and take a a photo..do the same but with video PP to off. now, see your screen and also download them and take a look. 

let me know if you get to it.

Thanks

Well, I shall when I receive my camera (today with some good fortune)! It should have arrived yesterday but the courier couldn't find my workplace, apparently... which is strange seeing as it's signposted, and all other buildings on site know where we're situated.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on, but it might be delayed. In short, I'm really looking forward to giving it a go! ;)

11 hours ago, manyo said:

did you know that this was how it worked? don't you find that strange? is it a bug? I just realized how this works so, now I am aware, but I don think the video profile should transfer when in Photo Mode.

Yes it's odd. Discovered this work around on my own when the pics were LOG like my video. 

Turn PP OFF completely and you get normal colors Silent Shooting or not but can still have a PP selected when shooting video. Might need to have video set to a Memory button (I do) but at least you won't get nasty surprises once you know how it works.