Switching to Sony

Hello all, first time posting here as I'm hoping to gain some additional insight and information through discussion to help guide me beyond what I've read in reviews and forum posts.

I've been a Pentax shooter for quite some time, and I'm fairly invested in the Pentax ecosystem (Currently the K3-II) with a handful of some of the best glass they have to offer for lenses. My needs are changing slightly though, so I've been looking at a camera upgrade and I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money to upgrade, it might be time to make the jump to mirror-less, and I've been drawn to looking at Sony. I'm hoping to get some clarify on what might fulfill my needs. My use case is a bit all over the case, but I'm sure it's similar to most amateur photographers. Here are my needs/wants:

I primarily shoot landscape/nature but I also do occasional portrait work - and actually I'm looking to get more into portrait photography this year.

The other key thing that has me looking to switch platforms is the need for better auto-focus and low light performance. Now that I have children, coming up on three years old, I've been taking a lot of photos and videos to capture these moments. My Pentax camera, as well as it has served me for landscape and portraits over the years, it's auto-focus and low-light performance leaves quite a bit to be desired. As they get older and start playing sports or whatever activities they do, it would be nice to have something that can help out a little bit with a better auto-focus system than what I have now.

There is expected to be a new Pentax camera arriving this year that may have improved auto-focus and low-light performance but we don't know for sure. I've had some funds set aside knowing I would potentially be switching or upgrading this year. I know switching platforms is going to be an expensive endeavor if I go that route, but I've been preparing myself for that just in case.

So I say all that to say this - which Sony Full Frame and lenses would I look to start out to be able to jump in and achieve a balance between Landscape/Portrait work and functional auto-focus to help with photographing live action, mostly my kids running around and playing and in the future perhaps some sports.

I'm not overly concerned about budget if my investment is going to allow me to fulfill my needs. Also, note that I am not a professional photographer in that I'm not selling a ton of my work for profit. I do some limited work for money but a lot of my photography at this time is for myself and family and friends. I do have some things lined up this year that could change that and I could be contributing to some more paid engagements.

Sorry for the long, wordy post. Seems like a great community here so I thought to reach out and see what you all have to say.

Thanks!

Your want/need list isn't very specific: do you prefer primes or zooms, do you want a fast aperture?

Without knowing much, I'd suggest you try the A7iii with the Sony 24-105 mm f/4: great quality and versatile zoom. Add the Sony 85 mm f/1.8 if you really enjoy portraiture. Alternatively, get the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8: not overly expensive, compact and fast aperture.

Edited by Pieter

• 2 weeks later...