Manual override on Autofocus?

traveler582

I just bought the Sony 70-200mm f/4 lens.

Problem is it seems there are only two choices: Manual OR Autofocus buttons on the lens., With some of my old lenses (Nikon), if I had it in autofocus, and then turned the manual dial I could jump to manual. 

With this lens, with the selector switch set to Autofocus, if I want to change to Manual, it seems I have to take my eye away form the viewfinder, search for the Manual button and click that on. Is there no override on this lens?

Thanks!

For a9 and a7r* bodies this is something you set on the body, not the lens. It's called DMF (direct manual focus).

https://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/44840601/v1/eng/contents/TP0000226551.html?search=DMF

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1830/v1/en/contents/TP0001116962.html?search=DMF

It may be available for other bodies, too.

17 hours ago, traveler582 said:

Thank you!!!!!

And reading what you sent me got me to understand a lot more about focusing using this lens. Specifically about 'MF Assist (still image)' which was driving me crazy, but now I know how to turn it on or off!

8-)

Glad I could help you out.

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 12:07 AM, traveler582 said:

I just bought the Sony 70-200mm f/4 lens.

Problem is it seems there are only two choices: Manual OR Autofocus buttons on the lens., With some of my old lenses (Nikon), if I had it in autofocus, and then turned the manual dial I could jump to manual. 

With this lens, with the selector switch set to Autofocus, if I want to change to Manual, it seems I have to take my eye away form the viewfinder, search for the Manual button and click that on. Is there no override on this lens?

Thanks!

I had this question too. It's very strange for sony not to hava any kind of manual override focusing. I was so used to use it on my Pentax system. Fortunately, Sony has a very good AF, but it would still be useful in cases where automatic AF struggles.

14 minutes ago, Olaf W. said:

Did you also notice the solution @Azergoth?

Regarding DMF mode? Sure, but it requires an extra action. Manual focus override is, in my opinion, useful in cases when you are in AF-C and an animal sneaks behind some branches or any other situation where you need to be quick.

Also when using back button AF, where you end up being in manual focus when the button is not pressed: best of both worlds (for those who like bbaf, of course! ;) )

58 minutes ago, Olaf W. said:

What extra action? With DMF you half press the shutter button for autofocus and then use the focus ring on the lens for override/finetunig.

Switching from AF-C to DMF. When you need DMF, it’s already to late too dig into the menus.

Edited by Azergoth

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Thad E Ginathom said:

and a6*** bodies.

Did I totally dream up that there is a lens model where using the focus ring puts the camera into DMF mode? Probably.

You did not.

(I know this is a very late answer, but it may be useful to others)

It's only on a few lenses (and I don't think the 70-200 f/4 is one of them - the 70-200 f/2.8 GM II has it, though). It's called "Full-time DMF", and it's it a switch setting on the lens. When Full-Time DMF is enabled, turning the focus ring overrides AF.

NOTE: this was only on a handful of lenses UNTIL the A7RV, which supports Full-Time DMF on most lenses - so on the A7RV you enable it in the body, and most lenses allow the focus ring to override AF.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, XKAES said:

The a-900 and a-850 have DMF as a FULL-TIME option.  I just assume that most models have that. 

I assume it does not work in C-AF mode, and maybe not A-AF mode.

DMF in this sense is a focus mode. You can be in AF-S (focus single), AF-C (focus continuous), DMF (do an AF-S then allow focus ring to change it), or MF (no AF at all) - that is indeed set in the body. But it is just DMF (at least in Sony Apha mirrorless prior to A7RV).

”Full time DMF” used to be a feature of some (few) lenses which allowed moving the focus ring to override AF-C. The 70-200 GM II has a switch to enable it. Still works (tried it last weekend).

And now the A7RV has the ability to offer “Fulltime DMF” on most lenses - enable it in the body and it “just works” - let’s you grab the focus ring during AF-C. I like it a lot. I honestly do not know if it is the same or different from what was in an A900 or A850 - I have never used a Sony DSLR/DSLT body.