A7RV Touch Shutter in DMF or Manual Focus workaround?

Roboboy

Hi, 

I recently switched to Sony A7RV from Nikon D850. I am mostly doing landscapes with the camera being on a tripod and doing long exposures. One feature I really liked with the Nikon was the ability to touch the screen and take a picture (release the shutter). This way I did not need a remote release shutter which I would have to carry with me etc.

I was expecting this functionality to be with Sony as well and it kinda is however it is really crippled in my opinion. I would like to use "Touch Shutter" with manual focus so that I can set the focus and never touch it while I have the camera on the tripod but the camera does not allow me to do. By checking the manual it seems that this is indeed how the camera is expected to behave:

The [Touch Shutter] function is unavailable in the following situations:

• When [cE662.pngFocus Mode] is set to [Manual Focus]
  • When [cE662.pngFocus Area] is set to [Spot] / [Expand Spot] / [Tracking: Spot S] / [Tracking: Spot M] / [Tracking: Spot L] / [Tracking: Expand Spot]

Now to my question:

Does anyone have the same issue? What is your workaround? do you just have a remote shutter release? do you delay your shot for 2 sec? either of these would work but they are suboptimal in my view..

When I trying to get shots of a lunar eclipse I was using a Sony cable release (the one that uses the micro-USB port). That worked perfectly, and completely without touching the camera. For the models without that port (the A7RV definitely has it) there is the option of a wireless trigger, but I don't know the details.

If you get a remote be certain it's not the lame IR type but communicates by radio waves. 

Infrared remotes are line-of-sight and demand the device be pointed directly at the receiver. Useless if behind or below the camera. Rx type will trigger from any position.

On 30/11/2023 at 18:30, Pieter said:

If worried about camera shake with camera on tripod, I always use 2 sec timer. Touching the screen also causes shake.

Yes that's my worry. I never had an issue with touching the screen on the Nikon though. But yes a timer would be an ok solution I guess..

9 hours ago, VTC said:

If you get a remote be certain it's not the lame IR type but communicates by radio waves. 

Infrared remotes are line-of-sight and demand the device be pointed directly at the receiver. Useless if behind or below the camera. Rx type will trigger from any position.

Do you have any suggestions for remote triggers?

• 2 months later...

Here's the one I use. Be sure to keep track of the cable. It has micro usb on the Sony end and the 1st generation USB input on the end that connects to the receiver. If it goes astray there's no way you'll find a replacement having this combination of connectors. (These go on sale often so snatch one then.)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1405659-REG/revo_vrs_multi_w_wireless_video_remote_for.html