A7S II video questions

mediahusky

I want to get the A7S II and am new to video, and want to shoot some 4K footage at 24fps with either the Sony 24-70 F4 or the Sony 70-200mm F/4. 

1. Being that I am shooting video, is F4 about as wide as I would want to shoot? Is it practical to shoot video with an F/2.8 if I had one? I'd like to create background blur, though is it a bad idea to work with a 2.8 when doing this?

2. What is the best focusing strategy with this camera when shooting video? I plan to use back button focussing and the Sony equivalent of AI Servo (whatever it is called). After setting both of these up, how good of a job does the camera/lens do with tracking a moving subject and keeping it in focus when shooting 4k?

Thanks in advance.

Have all the hardware you mention and were used on this shoot... http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/6078-unbelievable-banding-a7siior-is-it/  Back button focus is fine on photographs but it gets evident on video when you actuate the button. There's a bit of back/forth 'clunk' on the video itself when it locks on. On video I use CAF. There's a smooth transition when you change target. Don't bother shooting anything but in 4K remembering  that if you run out of the reach of your lens, you can always 'crop in' to the video in post. Also, apply the Sony hack allowing you to go past the 30 minute video limit. 

1. What is CAF?

2. What is the Sony hack and how do I get it? Are there any downsides to using it?

3. Does it make sense to try and get a lens with a wider aperture when shooting video that has motion?

4. Any experience using an adapter to use canon lenses for video?

Thanks!

1. Continuous Auto Focus

2. The hack allows 13 hours continuous recording (https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak) and eliminates the 'nag' screen when using a camera 'PAL' camera on 'NTSC' settings. No downsides at all other than a camera firmware update may cripple the hack after which you'll need to reapply the hack. Did a 2 band shoot in 4K yesterday with the 2nd act running 1:24:13. (Used external battery) Without the hack you'll need to time when to break the recording or she'll automatically kill it for you at 30 minutes.

3. Was going to get (and still may) the 24-70G Master 2.8 but it's larger than the current 4.0. Not sure if the extra stop is worth it.

4. No experience with adapters or other lenses. Came to Sony mirrorless directly from Olympus E-5 so all of my gear is branded Sony

It was an outdoor shoot and 80 degrees at 7:00 when it began. I had the camera shut down last July on a fireground but it was 92° and in daylight. It has yet to shut down again but I have configured a heat sink for the back that needs testing out. I always shot with screen extended

3. Does it make sense to try and get a lens with a wider aperture when shooting video that has motion?

4. Any experience using an adapter to use canon lenses for video?

Thanks!

Wider aperture obviously helps in low light but the lenses are larger and more expensive. I don't see the relationship to motion unless you mean toward/away from the camera. In the case DOF would be shallower on the wide aperture lens so it's harder to keep in focus.

In general you must manually focus for best results. 

I use the Metabones IV adapter on my A7RII and have several Canon lenses. They work OK for photos -- AF is a little slower and less certain but very usable. For video you must generally use manual focus. The latest MB IV firmware has a feature to try and autofocus in video mode but it doesn't work well.

Wider aperture obviously helps in low light but the lenses are larger and more expensive. I don't see the relationship to motion unless you mean toward/away from the camera. In the case DOF would be shallower on the wide aperture lens so it's harder to keep in focus.

In general you must manually focus for best results. 

I use the Metabones IV adapter on my A7RII and have several Canon lenses. They work OK for photos -- AF is a little slower and less certain but very usable. For video you must generally use manual focus. The latest MB IV firmware has a feature to try and autofocus in video mode but it doesn't work well.

As for relationship to motion, I was referring to wider apertures being able to achieve shallower DOF. Though I was curious to how much more difficult it would be to maintain focus with a wider aperture. I don't need a wider aperture lens for shooting stills, so I was wondering if it makes sense to invest in one for video....some of the footage I will shoot will include running kids, dogs, etc.

I am new to video. How do you go about shooting a moving subject and manually focus while maintaining good focus? If even part of the footage is out of focus it will be ruined. Is this just a learned skill or is there some technique or trick to it?

Thanks.