Online has very differing views on the A7ii 5 axis. Tell me how it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I can go down to 1/2s with the FE55 with a good grip and holding my breath (and a little luck). More realistically speaking 1/8 is usable with a 35mm lens in most scenarios.

But maybe more interesting than those extremes is the fact that the 1/FL rule now definitely is a 100% success with the A7II. I would even say 1/0.5FL is still 100% success if you have a still hand. Im talkig about non-OSS lenses here. So my keeper rate greatly improved since I got the Mark II.

I would like to add that you should upgrade to the latest Firmware, they fixed some micro jitter that was still occurring in V1.0, especially noticable in magnified view and video.

What I think might be missing from the conversation is that the OP stated that they typically shoot gigs or in a tattoo studio. IBIS will keep the scene sharp but the musicians, and the tattoo artists and their subjects will be less so. The A7S is still the answer here because what's wanted are clean shots taken at a faster shutter speed.

Guest PenGun

Monopod. Keeps the camera steady and a substantial one can keep the idiots at bay. I shot bars for years.

Musicians move. This is the issue. If you shoot down to 1/8 of a second, the background will be beautifully sharp. The musicians mouth, hands, body will all be blurry. It's not the lowest shutter speed you can get or whether you can hand hold it. It's the fastest shutter speed in low light to freeze the action. That means higher ISO, not lower shutter speed. As one who owns an A7ii, I would get the sony A7s if gigs is all I shot.

Guest PenGun

Musicians move. This is the issue. If you shoot down to 1/8 of a second, the background will be beautifully sharp. The musicians mouth, hands, body will all be blurry.

Not if you shoot on the beat. Everything stops there, just for a tiny slice. With practice you can nail it.

Rent the A7S for a week and see if the 12MP suits your purpose better than you think. If not, the A7II is a fine camera and does "OK" in low light, but the IBIS shouldnt be the deciding factor as it is again just "OK". I have a feeling if you test the A7S that you will wind up buying one. I have the A7II.