Canon 6D to Sony A7mk ii Anyone done it?

gaabnz

Hey guys

I'm currently shooting a Canon 6D and a variety of L glass and a Samyang 24mm F1.4 for astro

I recently brought an a6000 and have really enjoyed shooting with it and find myself using it more and more.  I'm using the Fotga adapter on that body and it auto focus's quite ok, albeit slowly.

I'm thinking of swapping from the 6D to an A7mk ii.   Has anyone done this swap and if so, what were your thoughts?  Any preference between the bodies?

Cheers

I've got both.

The truth is. I only shoot the 6D because I want to shoot my Canon 85mm f1.2 L II natively. I'm in love with that lens, and it's the only lens that's ever been on my 6D.

I'd never pick it up otherwise.

Images are great and it works just fine. I just can't gel with it. Too big, too clunky, too heavy, and just too....   DSLR, for me. Not being able to see your "actual" image in the viewfinder is something I just can't get used to..  turns out I'm an EVF guy..  

Personally (and I stress personally) my A7II trounces it in every way. (battery-life excluded naturally)

Others may (and I'm sure will) disagree. But that's my experience.

j.

I had both for a while, and have since sold my 6D. I really like the a7ii, I had a fuji x100 for a while and really enjoyed the evf experience. i bought the a7ii initially to support my growing manual focus addiction. I hung onto my beloved 100L and 200L and 24 IS. My MF glass is pretty much all Contax Zeiss CY lenses now (28, 50's, 85 & 135). I have adapted to the body via the Metabones IV adapter, all my MF lenses have CY to EF adapters, so EF is my common mount, the Metabones is always on the body, I don't own any Sony native e mount lenses. The a7ii feels good in the hand, I liked the 6D ergonomics, but prefer that of the a7ii, the a7ii excels in MF, the evf is very good, I like the tilt LCD, max shutter at 1/8000, the images are great, the AF is pretty good, the ISO performance is not as good as the 6D, but I mainly shoot at ISO 100 where it's perfect, I auto ISO up to 800 at times, higher as necessary to capture the moment, battery life isn't great so get a couple of spare batteries and an external charger and don't worry about battery life again. I shoot mainly landscapes, still life and macro, so my canon lenses remain with me as they compliment my Contax lineup. I did recently buy the 50 STM, what a cracking lens, works great for those AF moments. But I just prefer the feel of older lenses and the whole MF thing. My transition path via EF mount also future proofs me to a degree should I ever be swayed back to canon. Hope this helps, it's a great camera, so is the 6D. If you see yourself doing more MF work like your Astro, you won't be disappointed. Before I bought , I rented one for a weekend with an adapter, and got 1/2 that rental cost back on purchase, if that's an option to try before you buy..., anyway, enjoy.

First, I urge you to stick with full frame unless size and weight are a factor in your photography -- which they very well might be.

Second, I've seen very beautiful images from all of the camera under discussion but I've seen the most beautiful images out of the Canon 6D.  It just has something special, especially with a high quality 85mm as someone mentioned.  

That said, I shoot sometimes my Zeiss Batis 85mm on Sony a6000 and love it.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either camera BUT bear in mind that neither of them is known for their low light autofocus.  (a6000 has blazing fast autofocus in good light but drops off a cliff in lower light).  

The best camera is the one that you actually have with you when you need it, and I know that I am a lot more likely to toss the a6000 into my bag than any of my full frame Nikons.  But for scheduled shoots I still go full frame.  

gaabnz I had a 6D, then a 5D3, then sold them all and bought a A7S2. For me there were three compelling reasons to switch: 

1. The A7S2 simply kills the 5D3 and nearly every other camera when it comes to low light sensitivity. The IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) is further icing on the cake. This means that for most of my shooting, I can leave the tripod at home. 

2. The A7S2 is much more light and compact than the 5D3. 

3. Canon and Nikon seem to be stuck in the dark ages, wedded to their DSLR's. Every new release is bigger, heavier, and loaded with even more functions that I don't need. They aren't even trying. 

The Sony system has all the lenses that I need. There ARE specialty lenses that Canon makes that I would like to try, e.g. I have always been fascinated by the 17mm TS-E and the 65mm MP-E Macro (with 5x magnification!). However, both lenses are manual focus so I won't lose much by using an adapter. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I definately want to stay with full frame as my main camera and will be using the a6000 as a second body.

I also very much like the "see what you get" view on the rear screen evf.  I do try to use this method on the 6D as well in live view, but its just not the same.

Size and weight are also a big part of it too, and the size of the A7 range is very appealing.  Its only really stood out since I've used the a6000 a few times.  I'm really into shooting the milky way.  Down here in New Zealand we have some very good dark skies within 40 minute drive of home, and the 6D is fantastic at this.

I've really enjoyed manual focusing and focus peaking on the a6000, but just never seem to nail it on the 6D.  I understand the Magic Lantern mod has peaking, but always a little concerned with damaging the camera with something like that.

I am no pro and not even claiming to be one with lack of experience I have but I had 6d for a while and there are many aspects of this little camera (a7 2) that makes me like it much more.

One reason was the size and weight comparing to 6d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat--I have 2 6Ds but for real estate photography I just picked up the a6000 with 10-18 lens.  Have only the kit lens now so I've just been toying with it.  I shoot manual, but do use autofocus--this may change with more use of the a6000.  A full frame mirrorless sounds interesting but it might be overkill for basic real estate photography.  I've seen some other interior photographers' work with the a6000 and it's stunning.  If it turns out to be as great as advertised I may pick up another for pole photography.

I do like the fact I could use some of my Canon class with the A7 series, and metabones though.

I've swtiched from the 5Dmk2 to the A7ii.

Exactly likewise.

The 5D-2 is still hanging around cuz it

hardly brings enuf cash at resale to be

worth bothering with ebay etc. Even tho

it's still here, the only use it sometimes

sees is the occasional music video, cuz

with its battery grip it can shoot whole

long sets uninterrupted. For stills it's as

if it's not here anymore.