A6000: The good and the bad

In order to inform any prospective buyers of the A6000, I'd just like to mention a couple of items that might influence their choices:

The bad:

1:   The camera does not come with an operating manual in the box. This can be downloaded easliy enough from Sony, but although it is almost 200 pages long, it is very poor, as many of us can testify.

There are a couple of books now available, NOT published by Sony. One is 650 pages by Gary Friedman and costs £26, the other is described as the best on this camera and is about 350 pages, but at the moment is only available as a digital download for £26.

2:   The camera does NOT come with a Hotshoe blanking cap (or cover). As this camera has a set of Sony digital contacts at the front of the hotshoe, a cover is most important to keep the contacts dirt and dust free. This would cost Sony a few pence, and seems an extremely mean ommission.

3:   If you have a Sony NEX-5n or similar and are thinking of upgrading, bear in mind that although the NEX and the A6000 are advertised as using the .ARW format, there are in fact TWO different formats (both called .ARW!). You will find that even if you were able to view your NEX RAW (.ARW) files on Windows Explorer, you may not be able to view those from the A6000. This is easy to overcome, thanks to 'Moody' on this forum who provided this link to solve the problem: You need to download and install this, then restart your computer, and only then can you view thumbnails.

4.   Sony Support, via phone and via e-mail seemed unaware of this problem. They provided totally misguided information on how to reset my camera to its default settings!

The good:

Having previously had a Sony NEX-5N, the A6000 is for me, a great improvement. The custom buttons and viewfinder are a great addition, and its noise handling in low light is far better. I'm learning to live without the touchscreen. The resulting images are very good indeed.

These are just my own observations. I hope they help someone.

Guest Peter Kelly

To be fair, I can see your point about the cover, although mine get left in the box, never to be touched again, and I've not had any issues.

However, I'm a lttle puzzled if you think that lack of a cover is down to penny pinching that you're surprised there is no manual.

In this day of electronic information I don't have issues with no manuals being included (although the poor quality is unforgivable!).

Sony support is something else entirely and I doubt you will find anyone who thinks it is anything other than abysmal.

That said, it seems to be the norm these days: basically, try to put off the customer every possible way until they get fed up and go elsewhere.

Perhaps somebody will figure out that's not the best policy!

To be fair, I can see your point about the cover, although mine get left in the box, never to be touched again, and I've not had any issues.

However, I'm a lttle puzzled if you think that lack of a cover is down to penny pinching that you're surprised there is no manual.

In this day of electronic information I don't have issues with no manuals being included (although the poor quality is unforgivable!).

Sony support is something else entirely and I doubt you will find anyone who thinks it is anything other than abysmal.

That said, it seems to be the norm these days: basically, try to put off the customer every possible way until they get fed up and go elsewhere.

Perhaps somebody will figure out that's not the best policy!

Agreed, electronic manual is better.  In theory it allows Sony to update/improve it over time, and we can always get the latest.  If a paper manual was included, most people would not seek out the electronic version, and they might be missing something.  Whether or not Sony actual does update it over time I don't know...  probably not... but it's still a step in the right direction.

Hotshoe cover was the first thing I bought.  Only $5 with free shipping, so not a big deal.  But they really should include it with the camera.  They know it's important, they include it with the A7 series, why not the lower models?

It doesn't come with a battery charger. I have always previously had Canon cameras, as has my wife, and they have always come with a charger, and for that matter a handbook.

One can buy a generic charger quite cheaply,  (the Sony charger is exorbitant) as also spare batteries.

One cannot consult a computer in the field, nor carry a large 350 page handbook.In my opinion a small paperback handbook is essential. My wife also bought a Sony camera (RSX100.iii) recently, this also came with no battery charger or handbook. 

Sony should get its public relations in order.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't come with a battery charger. I have always previously had Canon cameras, as has my wife, and they have always come with a charger, and for that matter a handbook.

One can buy a generic charger quite cheaply,  (the Sony charger is exorbitant) as also spare batteries.

One cannot consult a computer in the field, nor carry a large 350 page handbook.In my opinion a small paperback handbook is essential. My wife also bought a Sony camera (RSX100.iii) recently, this also came with no battery charger or handbook. 

Sony external battery charger & OEM replacement batteries are both available on Amazon at decent discounts.

You can download the Sony Help Guide (458 pp.; 4.3MB) from their very good support website in PDF format & put it on any tablet with a free PDF reader app, so you can easily access it in the field.

The internet is your friend.  Use it.

The lack of external charger is a bad thing and I bought an original Sony after my first, a generel failed after around 6 month.

A cap for the hotshoe???? Never crossed my mind........and never will.

Manual??? Google is your friend. Yes a manual would be nice but I found what i needed to know on YouTube.

What I find really bad is the lack of original dedicated Sony aps-c lenses, wides and teles like the samyang 12mm f/2 (with af) 60 and 90mm f/1.8ish portraitteles and 60-70mm macro. Why is it that the fun stuff is third party and longish macros doesn't exist at all?

In order to inform any prospective buyers of the A6000, I'd just like to mention a couple of items that might influence their choices:

The bad:

1:   The camera does not come with an operating manual in the box. This can be downloaded easliy enough from Sony,......

Thanks for sharing. BUT please please please I hope other manufacturers realize it by now, save the trees or even recycled paper, I rather have a pdf file or other digital form of manual. Heck I even keep one on my phone so its ALWYAYS handy to read and you can use a search function.

HATE those paper manuals....

Heck I go as far as saying skip the ENTIRE Cardboard box and give me a cushioned camera bag instead and a external USB charger!

But one has a Phone to consult and use the pdf user manual on it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

But one has a Phone to consult and use the pdf user manual on it. ;)

no, there are people who haven't. I lived for 15 years in the south of france, until last year, still no antenna coverage, so they are pretty useless there. and I still hate those phones.

the missing charger is the worst item for me. the service is really bad, I have never had such stupid solutions being proposed. they just don't care for their customers nor do they read the mail.

but they do make nice cameras...

• 1 month later...

I've had my a6000 with both kit lenses for 9 months. The attraction for me was size/weight, especially with the 16-50. Great pictures from backpacking. The other main use case for me is video, and here's it's a little disappointing. First, it overheats, somewhere between 20-30 minutes. Apparently this is such a known problem, especially in this form factor, that no one talks about it. (My friend says there a little fan to cool the sensor in his full frame C100.)  I wish there were a little warning light that it was about to turn off, rather than just turning off.

The lack of audio input jack is disappointing, though known when I bought it. I recently purchased a Sony "gun" mic, and it made a big difference. The battery charger thing was not an issue for me. I read the boards here, went ahead and got a Wasabi for under $30, which came with 2 batteries and a charger. You'll want the batteries anyway. I put the pdf of the manuals on my phone, but rarely access them. Mostly, the hands-on, the more familiar I am.

I bought A6000 with 16-50 lens in set. Then Sigma 30/2.8 and SEL18200 and now I have really nice setup for my usage.

Mic i think will solve with BT mic and overheating not issue for me never stop becuase of overhead, yes is warm and drain battery but recording and recording.

For me it is right formfactor and A6300 still not brings the reason to change.