Glue Advice

I have a Sony 90mm macro lens. At the front end of the lens there's a thin metal ring (similar to a step up/step down ring) that's part of the lens. Somehow it became loose and can fall off. It appears to hold a rubber gasket in place. I'd like to know what the best kind of glue is to attach to the lens. Thank you, MaryAnn

That's the filter thread. It should be held in place by screws. You should probably not glue it down because I think it has to be removed if someone needs to get into the lens to repair it.

I don't know where the screws are, but you may be able to find a disassembly guide online. It may even tell you what size the screws are.

38 minutes ago, FunWithCameras said:

That's the filter thread. It should be held in place by screws. You should probably not glue it down because I think it has to be removed if someone needs to get into the lens to repair it.

I don't know where the screws are, but you may be able to find a disassembly guide online. It may even tell you what size the screws are.

38 minutes ago, FunWithCameras said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MaryAnn
wrong place to reply

Thank you. I examined the lens just now. It's not the filter thread. That's inside the rim of the lens. See attached for what I'm referring to. There are no screws or screws hole. 

(Apologies - I replied without adding this image to it) (though I do see it above this reply)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MaryAnn
forgot image

Yes, the filter thread (where the lens cap clips in) is a smaller diameter.

I have looked at my copy of the lens, and the part you have circled appears to be the ring that is the top of the focus ring assembly (this lens has an unusual focus ring that incorporates the AF-MF switch (I think the only other Sony lens I have seen with that design is the 28-135 PZ).

I don't know how that is supposed to be held in place (lens makers love hiding their screws).

I think it might be smart to take it into an offical lens repair shop, mostly for fear that gluing that ring back into place might lead to glue penetrating the lens and gluing something it shouldn't - gluing the focus assembly would be unfortunate, and that  ring is part of it.

I'll reach out to a repair shop. Yes, it's in front of the AF-MF part. There are no screws, threads, holes but there are 2 small rectangular pieces embedded on the lens body where the ring seats. Some kind of spongy material. One on each side. Also evidence of some residual glue on the inside lip of the ring. That's what made me think the glue failed. Appreciate assistance. 

There might be a service manual for that lens on line, and it's possible that it is held in place with glue.  The name-plates/face-plates of many lenses are held in place with glue.