Please advice: stripes through images!

I regularly have stripes through my images and I cannot figure out why! Please see attachment. I have a Sony A7RV which should (and most of the time is) be a wonderful camera, but it happens out of nowhere and often in situations I cannot 're-shoot' on assignments. Anyone any idea? Or did you experience this too? I think (but am not 100% sure) it happens when shooting continuously. I am working at the Finnish-Russian border right now, very remote so no shop, let alone a Sony dealer anywhere near.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This looks like “LED banding”, although I have not seen it with orange bands before.

LED lights are turning on and off fairly rapidly, and they look a constant brightness to our eyes. To the camera, however, they are flickering, and as your camera’s shutter passes down the frame, you get darker bands, just like this.

First thing to try is using the mechanical shutter - that can help. The electronic shutter often shows the problem more strongly. If the mechanical shutter doesn’t fix it, you need to dig into anti-flicker and variable shutter settings. The Help guide for the A7RV is here: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/index.html and here is the page on anti-flicker: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/contents/TP0003057052.html?search=Anti-flicker - there is a link from that page to a discussion of the difference between anti-flicker and variable shutter - I recommend reading that, too.

The ultimate (and very expensive!) answer is the A9 III - the global shutter eliminates banding completely. But try the anti-flicker first !!

Edited by FunWithCameras

• 3 weeks later...