Do i need optical stabilization on A7iv?

Martinkooo

Hi guys, im new here and im beginner. I have sony a7iv, which has optical stabilization. Im looking for sony 70-200 f2,8 wich has stabilization but do i need it if i have stabilization in body? Can 2 stabilizations work together or doesnt matter and its the same like with just 1 stabilization? Cuz if 2 stabilizations are better, im looking for 70-200f2,8 for street portraits and one wide lens for wide street photos maybe 16-35 or something like that.. both are so expensive. BUT if it doesnt matter if i have 2 stabilizations, i should buy maybe something like tamron 28-200 f2-2,8 wich has no stabilization... what about you guys? 😇😁

For photography, sensor-based stabilisation is totally fine up to about 300mm focal length. Sensor and lens can work in conjunction but it's hardly any better than just sensor-based stabilisation. For longer focal lengths (300mm+) lens-based stabilisation tends to achieve better results, which is why nearly all long tele lenses have an optical stabiliser.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, the stabilisation in the A7IV is IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation), which works by moving the sensor, so it’s not “optical”, but that is being really pedantic.

In the Sony system, there are five axes that get stabilised. If the lens does not have stabilisation, all five are handled by the body. If the lens does have stabilisation, and talks to the body, then two of the axes are handled by the lens, and the other three by the body. There are cases where the cooperation does not work too well (Canon’s EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro handles an extra axis or two, I believe, and that can throw things off), but generally it works very well. The longer the lens, the more difference in-lens stabilisation makes.