New camera - A7iv - what lens?

Hi all, my first post here, so hello! 

I've been researching my new camera purchase for some time. My old Pentax K20d has served me well, but it's time to upgrade to some modern tech and better AF!

I was torn between Fuji and Sony, but have decided than an A7iv is the way forward. I was in Wex today, but they are out of stock so I've put a pre-order in for the kit with the 24-105mm Lens. 

I shoot mostly out and about in the Scottish hills, active dogs, runners etc so the autofocus performance was the main draw for me. I also love landscape photography and already have a couple of portrait and product jobs arranged, so the camera will certainly be a bit of an all rounder.

So, with the 24-105 being an F4 throughout it's zoom range, what faster lens in the affordable side of the range should I be looking at. I was thinking of around 75mm so as I can get those fast action shots of dogs and the kids in lower light. Half of the year is dark where I live.

Anyway, I'm happy to almost be on the Sony bandwagon and look forward to getting involved here.

Peter (aka PhotoBloke) 

https://www.instagram.com/photo.bloke/

In the price range of the 24-105 F/4, there are some good F/2.8 options:

Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 G2

Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6

Sigma 28-70 F/2.8 Contemporary

Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 Art

Each has its pros and cons. Up to you to decide what is of value to you.

From Pentax K20D to Sony A7IV that's one hell of an upgrade!

Since you will have 24-205/4.0 which has OSS and a body with 5-stop IBIS, I don't think f4.0 lens is as much of a disadvantage as some may think.  I think I would look for a fast prime lens that is between 85 - 100mm focal length for the portrait/product photography instead of another zoom lens.

For landscape, something wider may come in handy at times. The Sony 20/1.8G is good, also handles any night sky/astro rather well.

For a compact, yet fast option around 75mm I recommend the Samyang 75/1.8. Love how small and light it is. Of course, AF performance does not match a lens twice as big and four times as expensive. 

We are really lucky to have a lot of options, both small and large, low and high price, and a great number of third-party lenses. 

Edited by Lichtspiel

11 hours ago, tadwil said:

From Pentax K20D to Sony A7IV that's one hell of an upgrade!

Since you will have 24-205/4.0 which has OSS and a body with 5-stop IBIS, I don't think f4.0 lens is as much of a disadvantage as some may think.  I think I would look for a fast prime lens that is between 85 - 100mm focal length for the portrait/product photography instead of another zoom lens.

Ha, yes, i've had the Pentax a good while. It's been a great camera, but is now out of date, especially with it's AF and poor low light performance. I've also had a Canon G7x mk2 compact which I've been impressed with for some things but very disappointed overall. 

I was a bit hesitant with the constant F4 of the Sony lens, but as you say with the IBIS, Lens Stability and a steady hand it will be fine. I shoot mostly outdoors. With my Pentax, the 50mm 1.8 is glued to the front of it so i'd probably end up with a fast prime in the mid range, and one in the wide range, in no time.

Thanks for the input all. Really appreciate it. Up until yesterday I didn't know if I was going Fuji or Sony, and now that i've set myself on the A7, i'm at peace and can now start planning some trips with it. Just need stock to arrive!

• 2 months later...