Sony A7RIII Camera No Longer Works - 2 slowly flashing red lights followed by 3

Hello Sony,

I've had my A7RIII for about a year now, and it no longer works as of this afternoon.  I'm hoping to get some details as to what the two slow and three fast blinking red light may indicate.  Here are some details.

1.  This camera is only used as a webcam.  I've had it plugged into my computer and that's it.

2.  I've tried replacing it with 2 different batteries - which have been fully charged using a Sony charger with Sony battery

3.  The LCD screen will not appear

4.  The thing my camera does is blink red 2 times slowly 3 times quickly

5.  No memory cards were being used when my camera broke.

I've tried searching online for what that 2 slow 3 fast blinking light means, but I have not found anything related to what it may be.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

-  Tyler

Are you sure you haven't inadvertently changed any settings on your camera? The LCD may not be showing, if the eye detection sensor is near an object, or even if a bit of dirt has got on it.

If the red lights flashing are on the front of the camera, maybe the shooting mode has got changed to self timer?

If you've only had it for a year, it should be under warranty.

Even if it isn't - it is a lot cheaper to send it in for repair, than buying a new one.

I'm rather surprised that you are using a camera as good as an A7Riii just as a webcam. With the limited resolution on computers, I'd be using a cheapo camera.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Edited by thebeardedgroundsman

3 hours ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

I'm rather surprised that you are using a camera as good as an A7Riii just as a webcam. With the limited resolution on computers, I'd be using a cheapo camera.

I'm with you on this one. I doubt ANY web cam video is important enough to use $4K worth of equipment to punt out to dismal web resolution viewing. Like buying 100# of sugar when you only have a 1# bag to carry it home in. He'll soon discover a $100 cam is adequate while he awaits for his to be repaired. That's a 'spensive lesson to be learned here.

So, to answer various questions about the situation, here are some more details:

1.  I use this as a webcam and for the occasional landscape/wedding photography shoot.  The reason why I went with such an expensive option is because I sell online tutorials and technical consultations for work.  In my opinion, the video quality from the A7RIII makes my business look great, and I get a double-usage out of it as a hobby/side work camera.

2.  I turn the camera off at the end of the day, but it still gets a lot of miles in with at least 8-10 hours a day of work.

3.  Nothing has changed in terms of environmental factors.  The camera has been mostly sitting on a tripod, and the last time I took it out was a few months back for a wedding shoot.  So, overall, it's not exposed to environmental problems.

4.  The lens, and settings have not changed for months due to the fact that it just stands on the tripod and records video.  When it died, it was just standing there like usual with no immediate changes being made.

5.  The red light is towards the back of the camera next to the memory card slots

6.  Unfortunately, the camera is out of warranty because it's been used for a year and 1/2, and sending it in for a $550 evaluation will only be the beginnings of what it may take to repair whatever has gone wrong.  Apparently, Sony doesn't really service cameras in the United States.  The closest place for an evaluation is all way across the country in Connecticut through a very low-rated third party vendor.

7.  Sony does not provide an explanation as to what these error codes mean.  I've checked the user documentation, searched online, etc... and it seems to be private knowledge for Sony techs... who don't really service in the United States... who want to charge me $550 to tell me what the blinking red light means... 

So, unless Sony can get back to me on what's going on here, I'm selling all my Sony stuff and going with Nikon or Cannon.  Paying $550 just for someone to say, "yep, it's broken" or "yep, you'll need to pay another $500 to get it fixed" isn't worth the price of just getting a new camera... with a new warranty... with a company that services their equipment in the United States.

But hey, I'm open to troubleshooting this if it's possible because I hate to see my investment die after such a short period of time.

Thank you for the replies,

-  Tyler

Since it's ON for 8-10 hours per day, I would assume you use an AC adapter, but you have only used batteries, correct?

My first thought is that the batteries are simply worn out.  They can only be recharged so many times.

Do you have an AC adapter?  Have you tried a NEW battery?

Do you somehow know that you will get better service from Nikon or Canon?

15 minutes ago, XKAES said:

Since it's ON for 8-10 hours per day, I would assume you use an AC adapter, but you have only used batteries, correct?

My first thought is that the batteries are simply worn out.  They can only be recharged so many times.

Do you have an AC adapter?  Have you tried a NEW battery?

Do you somehow know that you will get better service from Nikon or Canon?

I've been rotating between two Sony batteries plus the incoming power from the USB-C chord.  In order for this to be a battery issue, both batteries would have to had died at the same time, so I imagine that scenario is unlikely.  When charging batteries, I use an AC adapter.

It would seem that I would get better service from Nikon or Canon based on conversations I've had with repair shops that are closer to Colorado, the only third-party repair shop suggested by Sony is Precision Camera - which across the country with very low google review ratings, and according to what I see online, Sony continually ranks the worst compared to the other companies when it comes to camera repair.  When I bought my A7RIII, I just assumed that it was made well and wouldn't just die from usage after a year and 1/2, so I didn't look into the repair process at the time.

Does anyone know of another company besides Precision Camera that fixes Sony cameras?  I've read absolute horror stories about Precision Camera, and I really want more options than that when it comes to repairing my camera.

Used Precision Camera twice. Once for a stuck shutter assembly (Think of horizontal blinds in the lowered position and having the cat jump at the birds at the feeder just outside the window) in 2018 for $260 something and the last time for a menu system that kept rotating through menu items, image review, and time zone selections randomly on its own (2020). No complaints to speak of. Likely a misunderstanding of 500 skins just to look at it.

You may be able to shop the thing around for estimates ($90 is a typical 'look-at' fee around here to evaluate it} but how many of those you willing to pay for before you decide to get it fixed at a price you seem is reasonable?

As someone who makes money with it $522 was doable to get mine back in 10 days time. (Hit their doorstep Aug 14 & out of repair Aug 17!) Didn't want to waste three weeks ferreting out someone who might do it for $325 after waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm certain PC is in the priority pipeline for original Sony parts since Sony itself recommends them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by VTC

1 hour ago, XKAES said:

...I would assume you use an AC adapter...

When connected to the computer all that time any minuscule spike back-feeding into the USB port, HDMI port, or the power supply could take out something. Folks will be deciding to hire judging the quality of the product produced and hopefully not from the quality of some webcam stream.

Thank you for you input VTC & XKAES,

I spoke with a local camera shop about repairing the camera, and they mentioned that there is, in fact, another facility that repairs Sony Cameras called "Chris Camera Services" nearby in Phoenix Arizona, (if anyone else is interested in alternative options besides Precision Camera).  Sony does not have it listed as the closest repair shop, though the people at Chris Camera Services are certified by Sony.  This shop has far more positive reviews, and I'll be sending it off there for repair tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm not here to argue with you guys about the wisdom behind using my A7RIII as a camera for recording professional tutorials and consultations.  My clients buy my products & services for both its quality and professionalism.  Having a A7RIII certainly does add a fair degree of "quality" and "professionalism" to what my company offers, and this camera ought to be perfectly capable of doing so without dying out in less than two years because I plugged in a usb cable.  Besides, as I've mentioned previously, I also gain dual-use out of it through side-gig wedding photography and landscape shooting.

Being that I have consultations & deadlines due by next week, I will need to buy another camera between now and whenever this repair may be completed.  So, unless someone at Sony can tell me about some magical way to fix to this problem, I imagine that I will be gradually switching over to either Cannon or Nikon because of this experience.  I need to be able to troubleshoot my own equipment and achieve fast turn-around times if something goes wrong, and that does not seem to be possible at the moment with Sony DSLR cameras.

If anyone else has a solution for, or can identify - what two slowly flashing red lights followed by three fast ones means, then I would truly appreciate the help.  If I can get an idea of what this error message means, then I can probably get a more accurate estimate from the repair shop of when I may be able to get my camera operational again.

Thank you,

-  Tyler

I'm not in the "trashing you for using the camera", but before you send it off, you ought to take the time to see if we can figure it out.  How about answering my earlier question:

So the camera has the exact same problem when powered by the AC cord -- without a battery installed?

Unfortunately, it still remains as the same problem. 

I did find my warranty for the camera, and on paper it actually says that it's good for 5 years.  However, Sony's customer support keeps insisting that warranties for the A7RIII are only good one year and they refuse to double check the warranty ID to double check on it.  

6 hours ago, thebeardedgroundsman said:

In UK I'm getting a new shutter system, and service for £200...

Your shutter fix pretty much mirrors my experience* as far as pricing goes though I'd insist they replace the part. Had a shutter leaf bind up preventing it from opening all the way. Manually reset it myself but after it happened a second time there was no way I'd trust the thing to not get caught again with those microscopic tolerances and all. It's false economy to keep it after how many activations? A new shutter gets you back to zero again.

*...Used Precision Camera twice. Once for a stuck shutter assembly (Think of horizontal blinds in the lowered position and having the cat jump at the birds at the feeder just outside the window) in 2018 for $260...

Edited by VTC

I got curious about the warranty period for Sony cameras (not applicable to me since I do not buy any brand new cameras) while browsing through this thread.  I checked both Sony Canada and Sony USA and except for the Sony A1 which has a three year warranty all other cameras (all A9 series and all A7series) are warrantied for one year.  Maybe the OP bought an extended warranty from the authorized Sony camera dealer?