Did I jump the gun buying into the Sony ecosystem? Canon seemed much much much easier.

Hey there, I'm looking for help / solutions. I bought a used Sony a7c from a reputable camera store thinking since I've been into photography I've just got to get used to the new system and I'll be able to pick it up. It's been pretty miserable so far.

1. Is there a way to download the files (both stills and videos) from the memory card or camera that doesn't require me to select the files and just grabs the ones that haven't been downloaded before? If that's possible can it sort the files by date shot? I can handle sorting a days worth of files, it's a waste of time though to get those files downloaded multiple times through different sessions. Canon's software does all this with a single click, you don't even have to tell it that there's a memory card, it just does it, one click.
  2. When viewing the sony files in File Explorer (Windows 10) all of the details are blank. No date/time. No exif data (not as important as date/time). Also the thumbnails are generic thumbnails.

I don't have nor do I intend to purchase Adobe LightRoom nor do I use Adobe products very much. I have zero use for any cataloging software but I can work with it if that's the only choice. I just don't see the need to pay a ridiculous $100 a year to have the ability to do the download thing when the manufacturer fails to provide a software solution for this one very simple task.

Why am I trying Sony? Canon's video capabilities seem to be lagging behind other manufacturers by leaps and bounds. That said I'm not at all well versed in what to do video wise nor am I mindful of things that are probably obvious to someone who is well versed in video production. I've been a real estate photographer for 15 years and I need to do more than what my current cameras could provide. Video from Canon was horrid unless you had optimum conditions, and real estate photography is typically not optimum conditions.

Any help on points 1 and 2 are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I'm not familiar with Windows computers. I just download my card to "photos" and click the button to delete after download. This keeps my memory cards clean. EXIF details  including date and time are attached and thumbnails show as miniatures of the photo.

Whenever I have encountered Windows computers I have always been struck by how complicated they make simple operations.

As for software for stills, I don't have any Adobe stuff, but use Luminar Ai, which is simple to use and relatively cheap to buy.(very good for removing distortion and weird angles that Wide angle lenses often portray - not what you want for real estate photographs.)

I can't telly about video software - as I don't shoot video.

• 2 weeks later...

I see your problem starts with looking for a 'one click' solution for file transfers. This laziness will eventually lead lead to disaster because the files may end up one place you're not aware of with files deleted from the card automatically and then good luck searching for them under nonsensical DSC14779.jpg name they're tagged with by default.

I transfer all files manually. I'll change the file extension of the files remaining on the card from the given UPPERCASE to lowercase as a way to signify they have been transferred elsewhere. I'll then batch RENAME the transferred files to something more meaningful that includes the event name and date, such as 001-Triathlon-072220.jpg. If I know the name or know the date I can locate the files among a flood of ambiguous DSC named files.

As far as file data is concerned any decent imaging program should be able to display it, even the free ones. I wouldn't expect some generic catch-all program named File Explorer to have the chops to pull out EXIF data.

No need to buy into subscription model image app. Capture One makes a free version tailored to use with Sony.

https://www.captureone.com/en/capture-one-express/sony

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by VTC

Manually transferring them definitely gives you more control. Personally I drop them into thematic folders, eg my travel folder has sub-folders for countries, then locations, and dates.

I've fixed computers where people have let Lightroom auto-import and the mess was very distressing.

I'd also strongly advise against treating your memory card as a backup or archive. They're the least reliable storage medium you have, so you're just giving yourself a false sense of security.

1 hour ago, Adrichardson said:

I'd also strongly advise against treating your memory card as a backup or archive. 

Yes, many a file has been lost / misplaced with auto-import / auto-delete. And as far as archiving or storing on SD cards... I agree with that point. The UPPERCASE/lowercase trick I use is to differentiate between which ones HAVE been transferred and those that haven't been. 

And here's my reply to someone concerning renaming conventions.

Take a look at Downloader Pro from BreezeSys. I've been using it for years, originally for my Canon cameras, now for my Sonys. It allows a great deal of granularity in setting up file naming and organizing downloads. I'm a long time Lightroom user, but DLPro runs circles around LR's downloading capabilities. I let DLPro download, then import into LR. It's a one-time $45 purchase. 

https://www.breezesys.com/solutions/breeze-downloader/

During the preparation of the photosession, there may be a need for spending some time, for better organizing those files and folders.

I'll just try to suggest change of the way of creating folders inside Sony menu to date form based names, instead of standard ones. It may be helpful and it's easy.

Also, when I am planning to take photos with different (especially manual, classic lenses), I am creating more folders (at SDCard, of course) and renaming them on laptop to names related to lenses which would be used.

During photographing, it's easy to change target folder where photos will be saved, based on the lens used.

And, finally, there are Sony utilities at one and many other viewing utilities at the other side for reviewing, checking photos later.

Related to Canon, have to say that it has long time traditional approach (similar to Nikon), which is sometimes good but sometimes it's standing on the way of new technologies to be adopted (example: mirrorless).