Minolta and Revuenon

Aldowski

Few days ago, I bought  Minolta MD W.ROKKOR 28mm 2.8 (version with 49mm thread) and Revuenon AUTO REVUENON MC 50mm 1.7 (thread 49mm).

I would not compare it to modern lenses now. During few days, I was able to see (late afternoon; sunset time, and middle of the day), some great capabilities of those. At low(er) light, results are still good, details are visible clearly. Of course, at "full" daylight; sunny day; all looks very clear, sharp, detailed,

Minolta's minimum focus distance is ~1feet.

Revuenon photos are with nicely defined details as well. Took photos of autumn leaves (using both lenses, and Canon FD 50mm 1.8), rosehips at forest, great colors and details.

Both lenses are well built, strong, got them in very good shape. 

At gallery here I put just few photos taken by Revuenon, with A7II (photos created just for testing lenses). The only thing required prior to start shooting is to set Steadyshot to proper numbers at Sony camera.

Bought the Helios 44M 2 58, very good shape, took it to forest late afternoon.

As expected, photos are sharp, detailed, colors well defined (did not play a lot with aperture, used just F4); bokeh nice.

Heavy lens, just metal and glass. Made around 100 photos,

Just put 2 photos to gallery here (lens with adapter on Sony A7II).

Oh oh, Your LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) is in full bloom now.😀  Gee, I thought I was bad but I don't believe I ever bought 2 or 3 lenses all at once.  How many 50mm-ish (40-60mm) lenses do you have?  Is there a particular reason why most of your recent acquisitions are in the normal focal length range?

Today, I put 4 photos to gallery here, using Helios 44M. New ones, I went outside, very nice weather, sunny, inviting.

Made a bit more than 100 photos total, saw the strengths of the Helios 44M (with power of Biotar optics math inside). Using Graduated ND 8, sometimes incredibly helpful, to avoid vertical light balance issues (yes, I know that many are against the GND use). F4, F5.6, F8 used.

Yes, lenses might be similar or same FL, but the character, nature of those, it's different. I got same question few times recently, why to buy other ones, if already have the native, Sony, AF, FE 50mm 1.8?

The Minolta 28mm 2.8 one is different, it is reasonably fast, angle of view visible to the sensor is good, as related to it's FL. 

And, the 44M is providing some difference (when compared to Canon FD 50mm 1.8 or Revuenon mentioned here). Adding some vividness, photos are nicely detailed as well. It's telling image stories different, own way.

Of course, not saying any of those lenses is the best one ever, greatest of all time, or so. It's just good to make photos with them.

10 hours ago, tadwil said:

I don't believe I ever bought 2 or 3 lenses all at once.  How many 50mm-ish (40-60mm) lenses do you have?  Is there a particular reason why most of your recent acquisitions are in the normal focal length range?

One reason I have several lenses of the same focal length is SPEED.  For example, I have a great Rokkor-X 28mm f2.0 -- which is large and heavy, but FAST for low-light situations, and a Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 which is half the size and weight for normal situations -- and considering it only cost me $20, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Maybe you should check out a camera Swap Meet some day.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:35 AM, XKAES said:

One reason I have several lenses of the same focal length is SPEED.  For example, I have a great Rokkor-X 28mm f2.0 -- which is large and heavy, but FAST for low-light situations, and a Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 which is half the size and weight for normal situations -- and considering it only cost me $20, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Maybe you should check out a camera Swap Meet some day.

No thank you, I already have a sizable collection of lenses and I certainly do not need anymore.   Mostly PK/A, PK/M, a few M42 and a fair number of Tamron Adaptall-2 and Adaptall-2 SP lenses.  As you can imagine, my LBA was quite severe and though I think I have a bit more self-control now but I still drool over (covet) some vintage MF lenses.  The Powers-That-Be would get real upset if she sees another lens coming through the mail, so the drooling continues...😀

Tokina AF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.6 Macro, saw it yesterday when buying some stuff in tech shop; checked visually, rings, optics, bought it. It's Nikon mount and I already had one (this one not in use yet) adapter to the E-mount.

Already tested it on the A3000; of course, as the A3000 is not having IBIS, and the lens widest aperture is not optimal for some low light, I made few photos with bigger ISO numbers and shutter speed higher than 1/100. I'll try it soon at the A7II as well. So far, details and colors are looking nice.